Hello I am a new collector. 1st american eagle

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
mufasa36
Coining Around

Hello I am a new collector. 1st american eagle

#1 Unread post by mufasa36 »

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I am a new collector and bought my first coin today. It is an american eagle that is painted red, white and blue. It's awesome!! There is a coin store near where we live and I went there with my cousin. The guy said it is rare. I hope so because it cost me 30 bucks and I saved my allowance to get it. He has a very cool gold coin from Franklin that I am going to save for next. It has colors on it also. That one is almost $100 bucks so I will have to save for a long while but its gold. He said he would hold it for me so I am happy about that. I just wanted to say Hello and Thank You.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Hello I am a new collector. 1st american eagle

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome: ,
can i suggest that you 'ask here first' before you spend your hard earned $$.....?

may i ask what "year" it is plz?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by mhonzell »

Welcome!

It is always recommended that you collect what moves you the most!

We would like to make sure you are getting a good deal on the money you spend, so let us know more about this Franklin coin.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum! Glad you're into collecting.

What dealer are you going to?

mufasa36
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by mufasa36 »

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, my coin is the year 1999 and he said it was rare because of the red white and blue. Its awesome but i don think I should clean it because the painting could come off with warm water on it. He sells gold and silver necklasis but has coins to. I do not remember what year the franklin gold coin year was but we went there on our way home from school today and he has two of them. One is a guy on a horse with a rope and one has two towers in different colors ansd gold. They are both cool but I like the colored gold one is bigger but its $99 and rare he said so I am going to save my money. Maybe it will snow and I can shovel for people who live on the street to make money. We were not allowed to stay there long to look at other coins since he said he was busy but I'll look again tomorow on the way home after school. Thank You

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

What is the name of the business establishment? Is it a pawn shop?

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

mufasa36 wrote:Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, my coin is the year 1999 and he said it was rare because of the red white and blue. Its awesome but i don think I should clean it because the painting could come off with warm water on it. He sells gold and silver necklasis but has coins to. I do not remember what year the franklin gold coin year was but we went there on our way home from school today and he has two of them. One is a guy on a horse with a rope and one has two towers in different colors ansd gold. They are both cool but I like the colored gold one is bigger but its $99 and rare he said so I am going to save my money. Maybe it will snow and I can shovel for people who live on the street to make money. We were not allowed to stay there long to look at other coins since he said he was busy but I'll look again tomorow on the way home after school. Thank You

if i may suggest.....when you see something that catches your eye,....& you don't really know much about it,..... price, rarity, investment(?), so fourth & so on........drop some questions on us. the core group of guys here, have been at this a long time now, & take numismatics (coin collecting) as more than just a hobby.

"shopping around" is always a good idea, be careful of the "impulse buy", research what you like, & no question is stupid......

:eureka:
BUY THE BOOK BEFORE YOU BUY THE COIN, & BUY THE COIN, NOT THE SLAB.....
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by mhonzell »

Just a side note:

Colorized Silver Eagles are actually pretty common. You can find them by looking for the phrase "Colorized Silver Eagle" on Google.
This is why we are asking you about the dealer you mention. He told you this was rare and that got us concerned.

The going price for a new colorized silver eagle is about $30. So, you were not taken on any of your money, but he seems to have given you some wrong information. That leads us to wonder what the "gold Franklin" is for $100.

And, you definitely do not want to clean this coin. In fact, you should get an Air-Tite capsule to put it in to ensure you don't accidentally start chipping the color off the coin.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by dipper13 »

Nobody here needs to sell you anything. Use us as a sounding board. The guys here can guide you so you do not get taken. Your colorized eagle was a decent deal. Colorized coins are not rare. Most can be bought for a small premium over uncirculated coins. Run everything by us. You will not be sorry. Dan