1652 pine tree shilling

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Jpace87
Coining Around

1652 pine tree shilling

#1 Unread post by Jpace87 »

Can anyone tell me if this coin looks genuine from these pictures?[

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1652 pine tree shilling

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Welcome!

This is a coin we'd all love to see, but you will need to try again on the picture posting. Ensure you wait to get a checkmark on the upload before submitting the post.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Jpace87
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Jpace87 »

Attachments
20151012_050219-1-640x632.jpg
20151021_230635-768x1365.jpg
20151020_151808-600x1067.jpg

CopperFinger
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by CopperFinger »

Hello and welcome. Don'tknow any about early coin types but a great coin for first post. Were in the world did you find it? Sure hope it is geunine!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

link here...
CH PINE TREE COINAGE

i'm looking forward to m's response here....
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

The coin looks authentic in my opinion. I suggest sending this one to ANACS for authentication.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by dipper13 »

ANACS only does US minted coins, it will not do this coin, or others. I had to send my Machin Mills coin to NGC, because ANACS refused it.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by mhonzell »

dipper13 wrote:ANACS only does US minted coins, it will not do this coin, or others. I had to send my Machin Mills coin to NGC, because ANACS refused it.
As early as 1650, the colony of Massachusetts Bay was a commercial success. But an inadequate supply of money put its future development in jeopardy. England was not inclined to send gold and silver coins to the colonies, for they were in short supply in the mother country.

Taking matters into their own hands, Boston authorities allowed two settlers, John Hull and Robert Sanderson, to set up a mint in the capital in 1652. The two were soon striking silver coinage - shillings, sixpences, and threepences. Nearly all of the new coins bore the same date: 1652. The first coins bore a Willow Tree. The second series bore an Oak Tree. The third series were Pine Trees.

This was the origin of America's most famous colonial coin, the pine tree shilling. The name comes from the tree found on the obverse. It may symbolize one of the Bay Colony's prime exports, pine trees for ships' masts. Massachusetts coinage not only circulated within that colony, but was generally accepted throughout the Northeast, becoming a monetary standard in its own right.

These coins were actually struck between 1667 and 1674. So, why the 1652 date? Some believe that it was intended to commemorate the founding of the Massachusetts mint, which did occur in 1652. Others believe the choice was a reflection of larger political events. Coinage was a prerogative of the King. In theory, these colonists had no right to strike their own coins, no matter how great their need.

But in 1652, there was no king. King Charles had been beheaded three years previously, and England was a republic. The people in Massachusetts may have cleverly decided to put that date on their coinage so that they could deny any illegality when and if the monarchy were reestablished.

So, while one of the three first coins produced in the States, we were not United at the time. But, ANACS will slab this one. lol:
ANACS Example
ANACS Example
lf.jpg (13.83 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
==========================
Regarding the coin of the OP:
Was this coin dug up?
Based on the obverse picture, it appears to be environmentally damaged and possibly cleaned. Even so, this coin could be worth thousands. The strike is very well centered!

What is the diameter and weight of this coin?

The dots (pellets) to either side of the tree trunk and the shape of the top of the 5 in 1652 imply it should be a large planchet. (~27mm) NOE 1?

Looks authentic to me, but Daniel is probably the better judge on this one!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

The variety is based on die pair and I can't see the date well enough in these images.