New to this forum

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
MG1867
Coining Around

New to this forum

#1 Unread post by MG1867 »

Hello I started collecting after 2 events as a younger kid. I had a paper route and a elderly lady paid me for here news paper with pre 1950 coins from a can and a mason jar. The second was after I got a metal detector and found a Morgan dollar while on vacation in Colorado around Durango. The Morgan appears to have been shot or at least thats what I have believed since 1975 when I found it in some sand/gravel with the metal detector along the river in Durango Co. Now I collect all slabbed Morgans, Indian gold and $20 liberties. The Morgan I attached pictures of is getting darker and darker. I know you should never clean coins but with this coin I wonder if there is any value other than the memories I have of it and can I get it to stop tarnishing or clean it properly. If there is way way to have it graded and analyzed to see if it was shot?? I might be interested in investing to do that if there is value in coins like this otherwise I will just keep telling the story. Thanks for the forum and I look forward too learning more from everyone.
Attachments
thumb_IMG_20150825_095602877_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_20150825_100132759_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_20150825_100349559_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_20150825_100419277_1024.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to this forum

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

:welcome:

The damage is Post Mint Damage (PMD) and for this state of damage likely makes the coin worth only melt value of the silver. Cleaning coins is never recommended for something you may be selling at some future date, but in my opinion, it would not hurt the value of this coin.

Just understand, it is silver and it will always continue to tarnish unless hidden from light, air and moisture.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:agree: M,
do you think this was possibly a "mid-air hit"?
where it was shot at / hit when thrown up in the air?
hugeeyes ...look at the 'back', & the 'fold'.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

Quite possible. A coin set on a firm stand would likely be punctured. A coin that can move as it was hit would fold and move with the bullet preventing penetration.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

MG1867
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by MG1867 »

I found a video of a trick shooter that shot a eisenhower dollar and it looked similar. Back in 1880 $1 was a lot of money so I would not think it would happen a lot. It has been fun over the years to dream about what happened, when and who?????

Bob Munden -- Aerial Coin Shots

mikev50
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by mikev50 »

maybe shot by annie oakley at the buffalo bill show----

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

This coin is not a candidate for grading since the fees are more than the coin is worth and it has been shot. If it had documentation that it was shot by Jesse James or was shot during a movie shoot then it would be worth more.

$1 was a a good bit of money back then but there were gold miners, thieves and business owners that had the residual income to shoot one to see what it would do.

Snarfit225
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Snarfit225 »

Hello everyone i just joined minutes ago,i hope im not introducing myself in the wrong area,my apologies if so..
I have been collecting since i was 12 years old im 44 now,i would say im a professional-novice as there is always something im learnig.
I have a few questions as far as terminology as im confusing certain terms my latest confusion is (and i hope i can provide pictures ) Double die ,which a 1955 wheat is a clear double die.what is the terminology where there is a clear "double press" and the date or letters are stacked on the same year or word and slightly yet clearly not alligned upon inspection?im using my phone currently as im writing this and i dont see any way to add photographs,is this because im on the mobile sight?
Any help ,insight or instruction would be appreciated..
Also I wanted to get as many opinions on a mercury dime that has what looks like "D" mint marks on 5 locations on the dime.
Thankyou for any answers that are submitted.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

There's no such thing as double press so we need to get that out of the way first, coins are struck and that's a huge difference in being pressed like say a stamp.

A doubled die is caused when the working hub or master hub is created so the die itself has a doubled image; the only other ways there can be two or more letter impression is with a multiple strike or repunched date.

It would help to know what coin type and date you're talking about.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by mhonzell »

:welcome: snarfit
Yeah, photos are be the biggest item here in helping you. Terminology always gets in the way, but photos tell the story. 1955 Wheat cent double dies are really nice, but there is a "poor man's" version which is nothing more than an abraded die. So, photos are almost mandatory to make that kind of call.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#11 Unread post by Paul »

Snarfit225 wrote:Hello everyone i just joined minutes ago,i hope im not introducing myself in the wrong area,my apologies if so..
I have been collecting since i was 12 years old im 44 now,i would say im a professional-novice as there is always something im learnig.
I have a few questions as far as terminology as im confusing certain terms my latest confusion is (and i hope i can provide pictures ) Double die ,which a 1955 wheat is a clear double die.what is the terminology where there is a clear "double press" and the date or letters are stacked on the same year or word and slightly yet clearly not alligned upon inspection?im using my phone currently as im writing this and i dont see any way to add photographs,is this because im on the mobile sight?
Any help ,insight or instruction would be appreciated..
Also I wanted to get as many opinions on a mercury dime that has what looks like "D" mint marks on 5 locations on the dime.
Thankyou for any answers that are submitted.
:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep