Newbie with a question about the peace dollar 1922s

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
tholme
Coining Around

Newbie with a question about the peace dollar 1922s

#1 Unread post by tholme »

I just happened to be watching Pawn Star's the other night and seen where Rick had bought a peace dollar 1922s for $80,000. My question is how come I see several on Ebay for less than $100? Is it because of the condition it is in. Please help because I know someone that has one and is wanting to get it priced. TY

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newbie with a question about the peace dollar 1922s

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

:welcome:
1922S Peace Dollars make a significant jump in price above MS64. But, the highest graded 1922S is currently a MS66 and it is only valued at $28,000. It is possible they found a higher grade, but seems improbable. Just sounds like something is amiss. 1922P proofs draw extraordinary premiums. Is it possible that you misheard?
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

tholme
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by tholme »

Not at all the one on Pawn Stars look just like the one my friend has and Rick bought it for $80,000. Kind of got our hopes up till I seen the ones on Ebay.

http://on.aol.com/video/a-rare-silver-d ... -518571571

tholme
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by tholme »

TY for the welcome by the way. Def. New here and do not know much about grading etc. but been looking it up a little today. I know the one my friend has is not in as good of condition as the one on Pawn Stars but they are exactly the same and also the ones I seen on Ebay look like they are in great condition and selling for $100 so that is what is confusing to me.

tholme
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by tholme »

TY for the link after I looked at it I seen 4 categories under 1922 on this list, I noticed on Pawn Stars they said it was high relief and the list says only 10 were made. So how do I know if this one is high relief or not? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the reply. http://coinhelp.net/peace-dollar-value-1921-28-1934-35/
I watched a different video and the one this guy had was a 1922s and I think Ricks must be the "high relief" maybe that's the difference. When I watched the second video that was NOT like the one Pawn Star's has it was a 1922s, so I got my hopes up thinking my friend's was just like Rick's high relief coin.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by mhonzell »

Well, if we could see a photo of the coin, front and back, we could help you qiute a bit more.

Keep in mind... Less than MS65 and the value for a 1922S drops significantly due to there being so many of them.

Also looking at the Pawn Star coin... It is not a 1922S. It was a 1922P Proof-61 High Relief. Whole different ball game.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

That was a 1922 high Relief and not a 1922-S, under no circumstances or grade is a 1922-S worth $80,000.

I am glad you asked this question since I am sure this episode has confused other people.

Kris
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Kris »

I hive a high Relif 1922 but Im not sure if I should have it graded, the coinshop I called near me wants 300 plus 1 percent of the value

Kris
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Kris »

I don't know how to show pictures, its defiantly high relef

Kris
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Kris »

Looks just like a 1921 under a microscope