Humble Question about 1886 Morgan Silver Dollar

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Martii101
Coining Around

Humble Question about 1886 Morgan Silver Dollar

#1 Unread post by Martii101 »

I have a 1886 Morgan silver dollar which has a soft sheen on the front but is dark on the back. The coin, overall has very little wear and may be graded (i'm guessing) as Fine. Is it normal for a coin to look clean or newer on one side? Could this indicate the coin was cleaned improperly?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Humble Question about 1886 Morgan Silver Dollar

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Really need to see an image or scan, it could indicate toning or a cleaning but no way to know unless see the coin.

Martii101
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Martii101 »

Sorry, it took me a minute to figure out how to upload a pic. (it's very simple btw) I'm not sure how to rotate them just yet, but I think you can see the pic well enough. Thank you in advance. I am really a new new newby! LOL
Attachments
20150727_225047.jpg
20150727_225125.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

The obverse of the coin could be cleaned since it looks to grade extremely fine and should be more like the reverse. However, there's weakly struck coins like this and the reverse could just be toned. I would be glad to revisit if better images were posted.

Martii101
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Martii101 »

Thank you! Glad to be here! I posted what I hope to be better pictures. My hands are so excited, they can't stop shaking. LOL.
Attachments
1886 morgan p h.jpg
1886 morgan p t.jpg

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by dipper13 »

The reverse of your coin is worn. Look at the Eagles breast feathers. The universe's barely worn. Look over liberties ear. Not much wear on her hair. The obverse and reverse do not match, at least in wear. Cannot tell if cleaned.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by dipper13 »

The reverse of your coin is worn. Look at the Eagles breast feathers. The obverse is barely worn. Look over liberties ear. Not much wear on her hair. The obverse and reverse do not match, at least in wear. Cannot tell if cleaned.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree, the obverse does not match the reverse in grade unless this is a depth of perception and contrast issue on the viewer's part.

I am going with toning on the reverse and that there's not as much wear as it looks like it has in the images. I think the coin is AU and just toned on the reverse.

Martii101
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Martii101 »

Do you think it is worth the effort to have it officially graded, and cleaned? If so, how do you suggest I do that?

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by dipper13 »

No, common silver dollars cost more to cert than worth. If silver goes to the proper level(higher) it's gone day be worth having graded. I wouldn't. I if
unc. a different story.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

dipper is correct, the fees of grading is more than the coin is worth.

Martii101
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by Martii101 »

Thank you for responding to my ( probably obvious) questions. I aquired this huge collection of coins, and it has been interesting finding the history associated with them. Most are probably just worth coin silver, and the Morgan's are so pretty, even if they are common grade. It's given me an interest in coins that I'd never really had before. And, of course I get to talk to the good folks on this forum!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

We are glad to help and nice to hear of your interest in coin collecting. Hope to see more coins and questions. Morgan Dollars are my favorite coin by the way.

Martii101
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by Martii101 »

What are your favorites?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

Silver dollars is what I love the most but partial to Morgan Dollars.