Removing PCGS coins from Slabs - Does it ruin the value

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
tab1962
Coin Collector

Removing PCGS coins from Slabs - Does it ruin the value

#1 Unread post by tab1962 »

I prefer to buy the PCGS grades coins but hate the sterile look of the coins in the slab so I want to remove them and place them in a quality photo album - would this hurt the future value even if I keep the PCGS grade labels in the coin album to show the future buyer?

Thanks

Tom

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Removing PCGS coins from Slabs - Does it ruin the value

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I don't recommend doing that because it will effect the value, and you risk a chance of damaging the coin.

tab1962
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by tab1962 »

The Dealer has a tool that he uses to take the coin out of the slab. Just hate to have the coin look so sterile where the album is much easier to look at the coins plus I shoot them for my stock business. In some cases I've made more money selling the stock photo of the coin that what I paid for the coin.

Here is an example of one of my coins that has made some decent $$ by its photos on line- I am a commercial photographer so I am adding in coins for my overall portfolio.

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?s ... =185504423

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Tab1962, I think lot of collectors like the look of a coin without the plastic obstructing the view. But I have a question for you. Do you know if the device the dealer uses to remove the coin damages the holder?
Now put yourself in a potential buyers position when presented with a coin that a seller says was in the holder. Why would the buyer believe that this is the actual coin that was in the holder originally? Who is to say the seller didn't remove the original coin, send it back in to be re-encapsulated and then get a lesser quality coin to go with the first holder?
As many members here have stated, that bulky piece of plastic is the COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) for that particular coin. But once removed from the holder all bets are off.
i believe the main reason a dealer might remove a coin is that he/she thinks it might have been under graded originally and is going to hope that it will go up a grade or they try to get a coin graded by a different, more respected grading company that would make the coin more valuable!

funcoins
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by funcoins »

I agree. It defeats the purpose of getting the grading by removing the coin. Even if the coin is not physically damaged you are still potentially dropping the value by not having a confirmed certification holder.
I collect fun coins and some of my favorites are dinosaur coins!