Can anyone help me to know anything about 1896 coin

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Clickonadd
Coining Around

Can anyone help me to know anything about 1896 coin

#1 Unread post by Clickonadd »

Help needed for Coin Information of 1896 AD?
Can anyone help me to know anything about this coin? On the Face of this coin written NXROLIGON 1896 DMAPARTE and on the backside picture of Eiffel Tower with Paris word written.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can anyone help me to know anything about 1896 coin

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

It doesn't look like a real coin to me.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

please post other side
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

Not good at translating the text because I can't really make out the coin in the image, but it says "Napoleon Bonaparte" (NHPOLGON BMAPARTE)

This is a token, not a "coin". I could only find one reference to it from a person selling the coin for 6 pounds in 2012. Supposedly he got it from his grandfather and he was claiming it was valuable.

Napoleon died in 1821. (There was also a Napoleon II and III, but the hat implies Napoleon I)
The Eiffel Tower was built in 1889.

Update: Found a "more" credible reference, but the coin looks slightly different in the spellings and no date.. modern copy?
Considered a "commemorative medallion". Diameter: 37mm
In great condition, worth $5-$20 USD. (the modern copy, not the original)
(see picture Y)
Attachments
x.JPG
y.jpg
y.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
W.jpg
X.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote:Not good at translating the text because I can't really make out the coin in the image, but it says "Napoleon Bonaparte" (NHPOLGON BMAPARTE)

This is a token, not a "coin". I could only find one reference to it from a person selling the coin for 6 pounds in 2012. Supposedly he got it from his grandfather and he was claiming it was valuable.

Napoleon died in 1821. (There was also a Napoleon II and III, but the hat implies Napoleon I)
The Eiffel Tower was built in 1889.

Update: Found a "more" credible reference, but the coin looks slightly different in the spellings and no date.. modern copy?
Considered a "commemorative medallion". Diameter: 37mm
In great condition, worth $5-$20 USD. (the modern copy, not the original)
(see picture Y)
I KNEW YOU WOULD KNOW! :yourock:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by mhonzell »

PALH1 wrote:I KNEW YOU WOULD KNOW! :yourock:
Thanks, Paul!
You see tiny knicks and blobs that identify die states. I see clues that identify "the coin". It's just a different background, or set of experiences.

(Sorry for the thread hijack.)
For every one I "know", there are a hundred I do not. I think I'm just fairly good at research and working with ancient coins helps you overcome difficult to read foreign languages.

I didn't think I was seeing the same letters the OP posted, so I looked at the portrait and date. That led me to guess the person and then I was able to find the medallion due to the OP stating the Eiffel Tower was on the back. I originally thought it to be a fake "coin" since Paris is not normally spelled that way in the 1800s on French coins, but there were enough examples to make it authentic.

Here's an example on seeing the "invisible"... would you get this information from this coin?
(Objects in red are missing/distorted.)
Macrianus (The Younger)
Summer 260-Summer261 AD
RIC 5B Macrianus 11

O: IMP C FVL MACRIANVS PF AVG
Bust right, cuirassed, radiate

R: ROMAE AETERNAE
Roma seated left on shield, Victory in extended right, spear in left

I've stated a few times a "coin" should have a date and a value on it somewhere... so where is it on this coin?

In this era, coins were made while the emperor lived, so the date is the image of the emperor. The text indicates his "rank" at the time the coin was made. In this case, Augustus (AVG). So, history allows us to date the coin. The value is based on the crown (almost missing on this coin) which means it was two denarii, or one antonianius.

The coin posted in the OP does not appear to have a value on it making it a token or medallion.
Attachments
J44.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Clickonadd
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Clickonadd »

i am also confused about this.. i also think its not a coin but want to know what exactly it is