Trail Dies - How & Why ??

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

PALH1
Master Die Variety Attributer

Trail Dies - How & Why ??

#1 Unread post by PALH1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:15 am

i have looked at bunches of lincoln cent td's, & read ALOT of info on these.....but no one really gives a concrete definitive answer on how they occur on the die face.

i ask this, because......i'm now trying to work through the poundage of lincoln wheat cents that have been sitting in the closet for years. having looked at zillions of these, you find specific recognizable patterns that occur for specific years....
for example....the '44 lwc. these just seem to have a real crummy '44' date punch...on almost all of them i have ever looked at. why?? maybe the punches were just 'not so good'? maybe it's the 'design of the 4 itself' with the sharp angled north & sw points? (just not a good design element for metal to 'flow into' as the coin is struck) maybe just sloppier workmanship in '44?.
i :dunno
but....i do see, & have found several very heavy trail dies on the '44' of the 'date only' for that year, running e-w, 90 degrees toward the rim. was it the final annealing? was it....? :confused: whistling2:
Attachments
LC DT.JPG

PALH1

Re: Trail Dies - How & Why ??

#2 Unread post by PALH1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:29 am

hugeeyes
Attachments
SS12.jpg
SS11.jpg
111.jpg
11.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by mhonzell » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:13 am

Very interesting!

The hard part is remembering that these are paths cut into the die and being transferred as ridges onto the coin.

It is as if the 'liquid' metal was trapped in the devices, expanded due to the heat created by pressure and then jetted from the weak spot in the hub. This jetting cut a tiny groove into the hub.

But, it's just another theory. widegrin

cableman
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by cableman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Go here http://www.traildies.com/ and you can also go on LCR.com and try to contact Robert (BJ) Neff.He started the site a few years back.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#5 Unread post by Nolifeking » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:10 am

Pahl I've seen a lot of what you are showing on the 1944's. A lot of them that I look at have this present. Never connected it with being a trail die or like one though.

PALH1

#6 Unread post by PALH1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:01 am

mhonzell wrote:Very interesting!

The hard part is remembering that these are paths cut into the die and being transferred as ridges onto the coin.

It is as if the 'liquid' metal was trapped in the devices, expanded due to the heat created by pressure and then jetted from the weak spot in the hub. This jetting cut a tiny groove into the hub.

But, it's just another theory. widegrin
YES, MINE TOO!
it would take forever for me to type it out, & most likely confuse everyone, so....
i had read & understand everything in the post link to these td's....and i know those guys know what they are talking about, but my explanation is more sound/probable. based on fluid dynamics / friction, in combination with some of their principals.

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by 2centsal » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:31 pm

I wrote about this subject awhile back . Remember that strange dime I have with the Yellowing and has the " Groove " around the Rim ? This dime also has this Trailing on the back where it says " E. PLURIBUS UNUM " . Anyone see this on a dime ? Mine actually has at least 2 trails per letter where as you examples show just one . I'll have to see if I can post a good Pic of it later . I Noticed that if you enlarge the Pic, you can kind of see the trails above the BUS .
Attachments
100_1830.JPG