1986 D Lincoln Date Error: Backwards "L"986 D: Any Help??

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
28MHobby
Coining Around

1986 D Lincoln Date Error: Backwards "L"986 D: Any Help??

#1 Unread post by 28MHobby »

Hunting through a few banks rolls this afternoon teaching my son and stumbled upon this. Never seen anything like it before and can't find anything on it. The 1 in the date looks like it was "repunched" on a 90 degree rotation "backwards L." Seems a little extreme of an error. Anyone ever run into this or ever seen one?

Tragically there's a scratch on the reverse.

Any assistance appreciated. Thank you.
86 o2.jpg
86 o1.JPG
86 o4.JPG
86 o5.JPG
86 o6.JPG
86 r.JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1986 D Lincoln Date Error: Backwards "L"986 D: Any Hel

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

I don't really have an answer for you, but that's pretty interesting.

Being a clad coin, my first guess is a cladding issue, such as: bubbling. Supporting this is a false rim on the right side of the coin, which is fairly common with these. The "bubble" is just conveniently placed in a very distracting way.

The other possible is a die chip. But, I would think that unlikely due to the location. No weak structures in the field to break, like those you would find in the center of the 'D' or '9'.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

'lil die scratch?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Probably a linear plating blister. An accident such as a backwards L cannot happen in the die making process because the design is transferred from the master die (without going into detail). The only backwards misplaced letter would be from a dropped letter, but that would be incuse, not raised.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree, it's a plating bubble that just looks like a digit or number.

28MHobby
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by 28MHobby »

The perpendicular "object" is separate from the 1 digit itself but ties in nicely. Not inferring that it was actually a backwards "L" but only the appearance of one (size is way off and objects are clearly separate). A close up view, to which I can't get a good one with my camera, almost looks like two separate lines coming off the one. My first though was a die scratch similar to many variety in the past such as the 1860 "Toothpick" IHC, but with an error so blatant I couldn't dream that it hadn't been identified before.

I guess my next question would be is this coin a singular anomaly, the literal 1 in 4.4 billion, or is this one of several that may exist for this date/mint mark? I'm unfamiliar with plating bubbles. Unique to singular coins?

jokingly of course: You all aren't helping. I've got kids to put through college or trade school or something. You're supposed to tell me it's some 5 digit figure collectable or something....

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by Nolifeking »

While it's probably unique it's not really collectible. It might not occur often in that exact spot and orientation plating bubbles are quite common so no value added.

cableman
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by cableman »

Try using a toothpick and press lightly on the area and see if it depresses.If it does,it's a bubble.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by Maineman750 »

cableman wrote:Try using a toothpick and press lightly on the area and see if it depresses.If it does,it's a bubble.
That's a good trick....but not if you want to save it. As mentioned above...not valuable, but I always say collect what you like and learn from it.
Roger

Scubaredneck
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by Scubaredneck »

Does the mint-mark show some abraded die "false-doubling" or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Way cool feature in the date! Definitely a keeper. :cool:
The Scubaredneck

eric.yardley
Coining Around

Re: 1986 D Lincoln Date Error: Backwards "L"986 D: Any Help??

#11 Unread post by eric.yardley »

:greatfind: that is awesome 😀