1972 Lincoln Cent DDO-012

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

1972 Lincoln Cent DDO-012

#1 Unread post by Paul »

hugeeyes
Attachments
SS13.jpg
SS11.jpg
72 DDO_7.jpg
72 DDO_4.jpg
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: 1972 Lincoln Cent DDO-012

#2 Unread post by dipper13 »

Is this one the most common DD Paul ?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah this is one of the many master die DDO's, but still worth a few dollars.

Paul

#4 Unread post by Paul »

dipper13 wrote:Is this one the most common DD Paul ?
not sure on "common-ality",.....but like daniel said, a master DD, so there will be a 'larger population' than the ones with 'full device doubling'.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I think it depends on how many Working Hubs were created from the Master Die, then how many Working Dies created by the Working Hub. If a single Working Die strikes an average of a million cents and there's several Doubled Working Obverse Dies then these could technically number in the millions, but just a Working Double Die would strike 1.5 million or less, and usually much less.

It depends on if a mint employee catches the die before it strikes more coins and how many DDO coins are discarded. I tend to find a few of these myself so some are common, but still much rarer than the 2,933,255,000 minted.

To strike a mintage of 2,933,255,000 then you would need around 2,933 working dies, if they all strike a million coins each. So we could be talking about a mintage of 1 to 1.5 million up to multi-millions for some of these DDO's.

I am sure my math can be off by a few thousand, but it's still relevant for perspective purposes. Feel free to correct my math on this one, I could be wrong.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by Maineman750 »

This doesn't appear to be from the master die doubling,although I believe there was at least one doubled die created from the doubled master. There were two master dies in 1972 so you will see about half of them that look like this picture. My favorite and easiest PUP is the humped B in LIBERTY. Nice find, I'm still looking for one of those.Photo is courtesy of Richard Cooper (coop)
Attachments
1972_MASTER_DIE_DOUBLING_02.jpg
Roger

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

i do not hugeeyes this as an "exact" match also for the current 'listed vars'.
i need to 'map it' completely.
busy working on discovery '39 lc ddo eyelid.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by Maineman750 »

PALH1 wrote:i do not hugeeyes this as an "exact" match also for the current 'listed vars'.
Are you saying you attributed it incorrectly on your original post ?
One thing to keep in mind is to take photos with your camera parallel and perpendicular to the camera.Angles will distort what others are seeing....making it impossible to attribute if you ask for help doing so. On another note, coppercoins is not accepting any submissions until well into the year.They are busy creating a new site whistling2:
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

I think Paul is saying there's only EDS listed for the 012 on coppercoins.com, so they might not match exactly in different states and stages.

I am glad you chimed in, miss you posting.

Glad you posted the MDD info. I thought the N and the 2 looked like the MDD you posted, but I couldn't make out the rest of the coin's details, should have waited on better images.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Gotcha Daniel ! exact match for die states will never be science

Guess you know how busy I've been Daniel...websites are a constant source of work..lol
At least I did enjoy the FUN show and the warm weather for a bit.

That B is an easy way to id MDD...but close ups of it are best...I'm just guessing based on what I see
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, I do! I am just glad you find the time to pop in on occasion. Busy is an understatement, I get coin blind as well, but that's no excuse. I've got to stay sharp.

I saw coppercoins announcement about their new website and anxious to see the phases unfold.

Paul

#12 Unread post by Paul »

I GOTSA HAND IT TO YOU GUYZ :trophy: .....YOUR NUTZ
IT'S OBVIOUS YOU EAT/BREATH/LIVE THESE SITES!
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah, but you eat, breath, live those coins varieties! I think we're all a little nuts, coin nuts.