My first Dropped Letter Mint Error?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

My first Dropped Letter Mint Error?

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

I found my first dropped letters mint error, I think. The fonts correct and they're incuse and look like IN on Lincoln's shoulder. It's too bad the coin is impaired but it's a first find for me, if it is. The I has a couple of small hits and makes it look like a 1 but it's an I.
Attachments
DroppedLetters.JPG
DroppedLetters2.JPG

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: My first Dropped Letter Mint Error!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Nice. Right out on the top of the shoulder! Anything on rev?
Pt. collar baloney on east?....or just slight OC?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

The reverse is a bit OC, but nothing else on the reverse, although it has nice and even toning. The obverse had a huge mound of corrosion over LIBERTY but that wiped off with my micro cloth and I might try to restore the obverse, but it's not valuable enough to worry much. It will just go into my file of found errors.

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by 2centsal »

Daniel, I saw it in your Mint Error section . Now I know what it is . So what are the letters from ?
I saw your examples with the mintmarks that were dropped in different areas of the coin on 2 example Coins . This must be a rare error if this is your first, no ?
Anyways, :greatfind:

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

The die get's dirt on grease in the date or letters, in this case the IN, fell out of the die and onto the planchet, so when the die struck the planchet, it created an incuse impression of them on the coin. It's a little rare but they don't have much value, just not interesting enough to serious error collectors.

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

Any idea of what caused the 'serif' looking elbow?
Attachments
DAN2.JPG
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah, it's a contact mark, there's a couple of hits that make it look different than the normal I.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by Maineman750 »

I'm not so sure this is a dropped letter error Daniel. My reasons are that this could easily happen from contact with another cent...and the fact that the whole word "IN" is there. You might send the pic to Mike Diamond for his opinion.
Roger

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

I was sorta thinking that, as the 'edges' are so crisp. If it were, I think it would have to be from metal plug-drop, it looks nice & deep.
But not seeing it first hand, I believe whatever you say.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Maineman750 wrote:I'm not so sure this is a dropped letter error Daniel. My reasons are that this could easily happen from contact with another cent...and the fact that the whole word "IN" is there. You might send the pic to Mike Diamond for his opinion.
I thought of that first, but when I took another cent, laid it over the top of this area, so as if I wanted to recreate another example, and found the rim would get in way and also leave and impression above the IN. The IN is just under the rim and it would take a bent coin to make this, not saying it couldn't be done, but just why I announced it as a dropped letter.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by Maineman750 »

I am definitely not an error expert Daniel..just putting out my thoughts...but an email to Mike couldn't hurt...or even post it over at LCR.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

Here's another image under magnification, it's not as perfect as it looks and could be struck through something else that makes it look like an IN with the naked eye. I don't think it's PMD but I have been wrong before.
Attachments
droppedletters.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

Maineman750 wrote:I am definitely not an error expert Daniel..just putting out my thoughts...but an email to Mike couldn't hurt...or even post it over at LCR.
You know how much I appreciate your comments and I agree with you, don't get enough input from you anymore! I might post it there since you have me doubting myself now.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#14 Unread post by Maineman750 »

I've been pretty busy fishing lately Daniel....I have to devote my coin time over at LCR since I'm a mod,but I try to check in here every now and then. Yeah, post it on LCR as Jason Cuvelier is back from a few days off...he's good on errors.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My first Dropped Letter Mint Error?

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

Well, maybe this isn't a dropped letter after all. I did a little more asking around and it seems I am the only person who thinks it has a chance. Oh well, it made me happy for a bit.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#16 Unread post by Nolifeking »

It's still great that you posted it Daniel. It made for a good discussion. Did you come up with an explanation for it? To me it didn't seem like a dropped letter because the letters were mirrored and that it was two letters and not just one. But that's just my two cents. :l

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah, didn't think of the two letters when I first posted and didn't think of the backward look. Jumped the gun a bit, can't get them all right. lol

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#18 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Don't feel bad...my goal is to be right at least half the time..you're way better than that. :thumbsup:
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Daniel »

Thanks maineman, but I feel bad about it, but appreciate what you did. Honestly Roger, a part of me is going to keep going back to this coin, until I can find what caused the marks on the coin. These are not your average contact marks, and it might be that someone used another coin to create it, and there's a way to recreate that.