Need some help with this one. 1966 unknown.

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
pahwa
Coin Expert

Need some help with this one. 1966 unknown.

#1 Unread post by pahwa »

Opening rolls from the last box on hand this evening and came across this one. It is a 1966 but it has all sorts of problems. Looks like a greaser, die clash with a cud or lam problem. The reverse is perfect. What may have caused this one?
Thanks, Paul :sos:
Attachments
4-06-2012 1966 greaser or pic 15.jpg
4-06-2012 1966 greaser or pic 14.jpg
4-06-2012 1966 greaser or pic 13.jpg
4-06-2012 1966 greaser or pic 12.jpg
4-06-2012 1966 greaser or pic 11.jpg
4-06-2012 1966 greaser or pic 10.jpg
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need some help with this one. 1966 unknown.

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

It looks struck through capped die, die clash and a cud. Maybe maineman can be more specific, but I do see the Memorial columns, most certainy the cud and the rim is upturned. I think this is your biggest find yet, but I don't want to get your hopes up too high. :yourock:

pahwa
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by pahwa »

Thank Daniel, I agree with you, by far the best find to date I think, at least the most unique anyway. So that way i see it, the coin is a struck through capped die, prisoner die clash chewin' it's cud eh? :l It was exciting to find it. This is the first search of the rolls as they were opened and put into respective decades. I still have the rest of the coin to search so hopefully there will be some less obvious errors and varieties to be found. These last two boxes had a lot more coppers and older date coins as some of the other recent boxes we have searched. My son searched a couple of boxes and literally only got a hand full of coppers and a bazillion zincs, mostly 2000's. I guess I got the good ones to search. widegrin
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

It's a cud if the area is raised, on second look, it appears to be concave. Which is it?

pahwa
Coin Expert

#5 Unread post by pahwa »

What I am calling the cud is the light colored area on the SW. It is on the top. Though from lip it is pushed down to the surface of the cent. I don't know if that describes it properly. The coin is very concaved right at the edge of the coin. What is sort of interesting is the two rings in the last picture which are concaved. There must have been a lot of stuff going on during the strike.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Oh, a cud only occures on the edge, inward.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by pahwa »

I think this must be a cud then. As is starts on the outside of the coin and goes inward. Maybe an un-struck piece of the planchet?
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Struck through capped die...the "cud" maybe just something left from the die cap. Very nice find ! I've yet to run across one in my searching.
Roger

pahwa
Coin Expert

#9 Unread post by pahwa »

It sure shocked me Roger. What was weird is I felt the different before looking at the coin.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

I never thought about the cud being on the coin that capped the die, that would make it incuse.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#11 Unread post by pahwa »

It is depressed but is still on top of the rest of the coin. The obverse of the it very incused on the edges. It is one of those optical things I guess.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

okiemac
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by okiemac »

:cool:

LWH36
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by LWH36 »

Just a bit jealous.
I like work; it fascinates me.
I can sit and look at it for hours.

----Jerome K. Jerome (1889)