2 2004 D Odd Ear and doubling

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
pahwa
Coin Expert

2 2004 D Odd Ear and doubling

#1 Unread post by pahwa »

I don't know about either one of these but both are sort of unique Just more stuff??

The first one the ear is odd.

The second one the odd doubling on United.
Attachments
3-12-2012 2004 D united marks pic 4.jpg
3-12-2012 2004 D united marks pic 3.jpg
3-12-2012 2004 D united marks pic 2.jpg
3-12-2012 2004 D united marks pic 1.jpg
3-13-2013 1984 D odd ear pic 4.jpg
3-13-2013 1984 D odd ear pic 3.jpg
3-13-2013 1984 D odd ear pic 2.jpg
3-13-2013 1984 D odd ear pic 1.jpg
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

okiemac
Coin Collector

Re: 2 2004 D Odd Ear and doubling

#2 Unread post by okiemac »

I have the same exact ear on 2 2004 D. I can't wait to see what the guys say about this!

pahwa
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by pahwa »

It will be interesting to see what the eastern guys have to say about it. :thumbsup:
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Well I'm not too far East, but I'll throw in my two cents. I'm thinking the ear may be a combination of strike doubling and or a contact mark. Contact marks happen a lot on pennies and I notice that a popular spot is the lower earlobe. The second coin I'd say very minor strike doubling.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#5 Unread post by pahwa »

Well you are way East of me. :l I'll take two cents worth anytime. I have seen whack marks on the lobe before but the rolled edge to the north west is weird to say the least for a strike. However, it is a very good chance that is what it is. I found two of these yesterday just identical and okiemac has a couple. I wonder if it is a die set or a certain die that has this as a normal strike.

The wife brought home 2 more boxes of bank rolled coins last night. Heck I have 5 to work on now. Will be busy for a while anyway. I have high hopes that something will be there, but then again I have said that over the last 20 or so boxes. lol
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I am agreeing with nolife on what he said. It appears to be strike doubling and contact mark. I know you will find something so keep going!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by Maineman750 »

It looks a hit on the ear. Try to imagine what the ear would look like without that doubled part, it would be a tiny ear, which means not hub doubling.A doubled die always makes the devices larger than normal.
If you have two coins "exactly" alike, I think I would send them to Bob Piazza or Chuck Daughtrey of coppercoins for attribution...only problem is I cannot think of an error that would do this.
Roger

pahwa
Coin Expert

#8 Unread post by pahwa »

Thanks for the help you guys. I didn't put an over lay on it to see if there was a big difference in the ears. Looking at it under the loupe and scope it sure doesn't look like a strike. It may take a bit to find the other coin as it went into the cull pile as it was the first one I found and I thought the same thing, just a hit or something. Then finding this one brought up the question. Wouldn't ya know it. :l If okiemac has a couple maybe he should send them in. I may look for the other one when time permits and I save that particular cull pile.

So the other coin is just slight MD then? It didn't have the typical tapered look I have seen on the long letters as seen so often. Just curious anyway, and it is too insignificant of an anomaly to be a serious find.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Yes, the second looks like MD. But if you can do overlays, try overlaying a normal ear over this one..I'll bet they match in size.

Forgot to add that the doubling in two directions is another sign the second one is not a doubled die.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Here's overlays for almost all US coins, thanks to Mark Durante http://coinauctionshelp.com/overlay_home.html

pahwa
Coin Expert

#11 Unread post by pahwa »

That is great! Thanks Daniel. Great for checking die clashes and other goodies.

I have some software that allows me to flop coins and produce overlays as such. This is a heck of a lot faster.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

okiemac
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by okiemac »

Good info. Thank you Pahwa for posting this and ALL the rest for your expertise. I appreciate the education. I'm barely past putting a cent into a 2x2 and labeling it because it has a crooked mintmark... LOL.

And Okiemac is a she...... widegrin

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

We all went through keeping the crooked mint marks or any other anomoly. It's a good thing, label them for what they are, then you will amass a huge reference over time. It's almost like a picture book.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#14 Unread post by pahwa »

I still keep stuff I probably shouldn't but they are :cool:! widegrin
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

okiemac
Coin Collector

#15 Unread post by okiemac »

Yeah, me too. And Daniel says it's okay too. Thank you. :)

I am still looking for my other 2004 D ear dent/gouge/scratch/not likely double/strike.... I did the same as you Pahwa. But I kept the first one, then discarded the second thinking "oh, that's normal"... Anyway, I'll look for it to see if they are indeed indentical. Maybe worth a look if so (thanks Roger for the advice there). And...... I'm bored.

okiemac
Coin Collector

#16 Unread post by okiemac »

Okay... I have looked at it under the new usb microscope. Here is the one I have. Not the same as yours Pahwa. Don't think I'll look for the other one.... I'm guessing I have a double contact mark/dent/strike/badly peirced ear.... :confused:
Attachments
Image100.jpg
Image102.jpg

pahwa
Coin Expert

#17 Unread post by pahwa »

That is interesting. The top picture has what looks like a strike on the lob. That straight line at least to me looks like a strike. What is curious about the lobe, to anyway, is the lower rounded area below what I think is a strike. We will have to wait to see what the experts have to say about it. They do look a lot alike.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#18 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Yup..looks like it took a couple of hits.If every thing were level you would have a normal size ear and that is what I look for.
Roger