found a couple strange 1946 s pennies

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
cathryn57
Coining Around

found a couple strange 1946 s pennies

#1 Unread post by cathryn57 »

Hi again! Well, this time I've been searching a bag of wheat pennies I purchased and came across a couple of strange looking ones. They are both 1946 s, which I don't see any real special value info on, however, they were side by side (kinda joined but not stuck together) when I pulled them from the bag. I am attaching pics for review. Any ideas as to what happened to these pennies? Thank you!!!

cathy
Attachments
strange penny 1.jpg
strange penny 2.jpg
another odd penny 1.jpg
another odd penny 2.jpg

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: found a couple strange 1946 s pennies

#2 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Your pics need a little work...so it's hard to make a good call.The second one looks like it may have a lamination error on the obverse, but the reverse appears to be just damage. The first one just looks dirty.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree with Roger, and also see adhesive on the last image or something.

clyde
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by clyde »

Maineman750 wrote:Your pics need a little work...so it's hard to make a good call.The second one looks like it may have a lamination error on the obverse, but the reverse appears to be just damage. The first one just looks dirty.
Cat, I have just the thing you need for your photos. I'll send you the info in a PM in just a few. I figured out a way to say thank you at last.

:w

cathryn57
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by cathryn57 »

Guess it's pretty clear I'm using my cell phone for pics! LOL I tried sending more that will hopefully be better. :) I went in and scrubbed the penny that looks dirty with a scrub brush and dried it with a white paper to see if any residue came off and none did. It's like the metal on the penny is a rough and layered.

One the other penny (pics attached) I have tried to scratch the "stuff" on the back off but to no avail....it's like it's embedded into the penny and surrounded by real bright metal (like new penny copper).

I also came across a couple other odd pennies....one is a 1955 that has a second "extension" like area on the bottoms of both fives that appear to have been stamped over;

then another penny (that is also a 1955) that is a really odd color (compared to ALL other pennies I have) and the area around the top of it (on the front of the penny where it has IN God WE TRUST stamped) it is over the lip or rim of the penny as opposed to below it. Very odd.....but my pictures are coming out awful. Do the descriptions help at all?

Thanks again

cat (ps......thank you Wizz!!!)
Attachments
odd penny 1.jpg
odd penny 2.jpg
odd penny 3.jpg
odd penny 4.jpg

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by Maineman750 »

OK...second pics are better, that may be glue on the reverse and lamination on the obverse. But please don't try to clean or scrub your finds.If you find anything of value, you will ruin it by doing so. Put them aside until you learn the proper way (and that may mean not at all,depending) to remove residue. Or until you can take better pics and we can advise you what to do.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

The type of glue used on this coin has bonded on the molecular level and has reacted with the copper. It can't be removed unless you remove some of the coins surface. It's just not worth the effort. It does appear that the obverse has a nice lamination.