A couple of coins for your perusal

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
pahwa
Coin Expert

A couple of coins for your perusal

#1 Unread post by pahwa »

I wasn't going to post anything but these is as good as it got for an all day search. Anyway you guys need something to wake up to and check out don't ya? :l

First is a 1984 D that has a strange pattern on the LIB There is some definite thickening of the letters (devices???) just an interesting pattern to the letters.

Second 1893 D Die strike I think. Not the best pictures and can't get all of the shapes very well. I actually found two of these. This is the coin in the best condition. The other one is rather ratty.
Attachments
2-25-2012 1983 D Die Strike pic 4.jpg
2-25-2012 1983 D Die Strike pic 3.jpg
2-25-2012 1983 D Die Strike pic 2.jpg
2-25-2012 1983 D Die Strike pic 1.jpg
2-25-2012 1984 D odd pattern LIB pic 4.jpg
2-25-2012 1984 D odd pattern LIB pic 3.jpg
2-25-2012 1984 D odd pattern LIB pic 2.jpg
2-25-2012 1984 D odd pattern LIB pic 1.jpg
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A couple of coins for your perusal

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

The 84-D is interesting but I am not sure what I am looking at. It could be a plating issue with some machine doubling but the light reflections are playing tricks on my eyes. I think.

You said die strike on the other coin, do you mean Die Clash?

pahwa
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by pahwa »

Yeah die clash - crap..... Someday I'll get the terminology right. But then again, knowing me, I probably won't. :l Is the lark on the left side of the coin one of those feeder finger gouges though it looks too far to the right I think.

It is hard to take pics of these real shiny coins. It is funny in the picture it looks filthy, and it is, but looking at it by eye it is very shiny. I think it is rather interesting that the reflections emanate from the center of the L and I.

Back to sorting and searching. Just an :w with blurry hugeeyes. widegrin

Thanks Daniel
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

clyde
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by clyde »

pahwa wrote: Just an :w with blurry hugeeyes. widegrin

Thanks Daniel

Yea me too. :w :l

pahwa
Coin Expert

#5 Unread post by pahwa »

:l
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by Maineman750 »

The 84-D looks like it may be 1984D-1DO-005. Nice find !
1983 is famous for it's many die clashes
Roger

pahwa
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by pahwa »

Maineman750 wrote:The 84-D looks like it may be 1984D-1DO-005. Nice find !
1983 is famous for it's many die clashes
Hi Roger, I looked at the the 84 to attribute but have a hard time figuring out what the markers are. The D looks like it is in the right location but now I have to find the coin to check the markers on the reverse. I wanna find it as if indeed it is an 005 it would be the first DD I have found. I would hate to loose the the first real find like this. :l It sure does look like one though. Thanks! widegrin The :w is hoping he didn't put the coin into the cull plie... :l

Thanks for the info on the die "CLASH" maybe if I type it enough in caps I can remember it. hugeeyes
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Pahwa, remember one thing....markers are not always present. You might have an earlier or later die state than what is pictured on coppercoins so you should always concentrate on the variety first, then use markers to verify,but not to eliminate.
Roger

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by dipper13 »

It might just be an optical illusion, but the letters keep getting larger and larger on LIBERTY . the rty is huge I think???? Dan

pahwa
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by pahwa »

Hey Roger, thanks for the info. I have read that the markers aren't always the there due to wear and time of the strike. But it is always reassuring to find one. :l I did find one on the reverse but it was weak. But I do feel better about the find. Pretty cool!!

Hey Dipper, yeah the letters get quite large on ity. Strange but must be die wear or something. I think this is common for the date though and have seen it on other coins as well. They seem to get huge. hugeeyes
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by Maineman750 »

A lot of times the smaller letters may have gotten that way from polishing the die,just making the others look bigger. The edges of the letters (devices) are actually tapered so when they polish the fields, the devices lose thickness and depth.
Roger