1968 no s dime

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
cathryn57
Coining Around

1968 no s dime

#1 Unread post by cathryn57 »

I purchased an unopened 1968 san francisco mint proof set that has a no s dime. All research I can find indicates it is a very rare piece. Any thoughts....any help! Thank you.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1968 no s dime

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum and this is a good question. If you pusrchased a proof set and the dime doesn't have an S then it's a very rare coin and should be sent to PCGS or NGC for grading and authentification. If it turns out to be a no S proof example it's a very valuable coin. Current Red Book value is $16,000.

cathryn57
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by cathryn57 »

Thank you for your response. I guess I should have mentioned that the unopened envelope was from:
Treasury Department
United States Assay Office
350 Duboce Street
San Francisco, CALIF 94102

It is a 10 coin set that includes 1 half dollar, 2 quarters, 2 dimes, 2 nickels., and three pennies Oddly enough, several of the coins have a D mint mark even thought they were made in San Francisco; and there are three coins (a dime, a quarter, and a penny) that have no "S", "P", or "D"....Do the other unmarked coins have value as well? Thank you again!

fwd
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by fwd »

...just for giggles, got a pitcher? widegrin

fwd
Coin Expert

#5 Unread post by fwd »

...oh, and by the way..............................................................................

cathryn57
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by cathryn57 »

Hi and Thank you for the welcome. I am attaching pics I took wirth my phone :) so hope they com,e out well. The coins are still in the original packaging they were in wqhen I initially opened the envelope so that causes a bit of reflection. I also took a pic of the (unopened) envelope the set came in for your review as well. This is a ten coin set that contains one half daollar, two quarters, two dimes, two nickels, and three pennies. I look forward to your next reply!!
Attachments
1968 no s dime 1.jpg
1968 no s dime 2.jpg
1968 no s dime 3.jpg
1968 no s dime 4.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Sorry, but this is a mint set and not a proof set. A proof set is different and the only No S that's worth anything. The mint sets were all packaged at the San Fran Mint and sometimes they made a packaging error and didn't place an S dime inside. I have one of these myself.

Also, coins struck at Philly will not have a mint mark, so no, the coins are not worth more than normal value for the set. All coins were shipped and packed at San Fran and a few packaging errors occured, and that's all this is. Sorry to disapoint.

cathryn57
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by cathryn57 »

Ah but to dream.... ;) . I appreciate your taking time to look at the coin for me. Thank you! cat

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

The dream is what keeps us all going. Your welcome and thanks for posting, this will help future collectors.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by pahwa »

Welcome to the forum and enjoy. Keep on searching and dreaming. That keeps me going. :thumbsup:
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

AnnaS1988
Coining Around

1968 no s dime

#11 Unread post by AnnaS1988 »

Yes, This one was in a bag of cents that I got from a bank when I was still living in PA. I know, Its a dime...but it was stuck in the bottom of the bag in a fold of fabric.:-

From what Ive seen it is possible to find just about anything in a roll.