1986 D MM's the same wear pattern

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
pahwa
Coin Expert

1986 D MM's the same wear pattern

#1 Unread post by pahwa »

I found these almost back to back which means nothing form circ coins. The question I have is that the wear almost being identical on each MM could they be made from the same die set? It is odd wear to me. What may cause this? I don't remember seeing this before but is it a common wear from some mechanical method after minting? Thanks.
Attachments
2-08-2012 1986 D  odd D  coin 2 pic 2.jpg
2-08-2012 1986 D  odd D  coin 2 pic 1.jpg
2-08-2012 1986 D  odd D  coin 1 pic 2.jpg
2-08-2012 1986 D  odd D  coin 1 pic 1.jpg
Last edited by pahwa on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1986 D MM's the same wear pattern

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I am not sure what this is, the images are good, but could see more in hand. Maybe? It's close in appearance to an RPM, and that's only because, and this might just be shadows, but inside the top part of this D I see a line on the first coin. Otherwise, this would be abraided and not wear. It's not very defined and it's possible that the area, being abraided, obscures the second D.

I am not trying to get your hopes up, but this is my take on the first coin.

pahwa
Coin Expert

Re: 1986 D MM's the same wear pattern

#3 Unread post by pahwa »

Hey Daniel, thanks for the info. I wasn't really thinking about an RPM though I am like you the top coin looks like it could be. There is that line in the north side that can be seen midway up the D could be, but even if it were a RPM it would be hard to determine the variety unless I looked at a lot of RPM's for markers. I didn't see any RPM's that was even close to the pattern. I just thought the shape or pattern was interesting.

When I first started all this and you guys looked at a ton of hopefuls from me, (I think I was the MD'ing king!) widegrin I was told never take a picture from any angle but straight down on the coin. But sometimes I think slight angles would help with ID'ing an potentially good coin.

I don't know what came over me last night posting so many pics. I find stuff everyday but just cracks and weird looking corns. I had a laugh about keeping my hopes up. Thanks. I will find something of significance someday. I am at the tail end of 2 boxes I have been going through. Just a few more years of zincs then on to the coppers I have been saving up which I like much better. They just look and feel like a real coin. :l

I have noticed that with bank rolled boxes of circulated coins that 95+% are D mints. With the key dates it is almost 100%, unless of course the D mint is the key date. Now is that because I am closer to Denver? Do you guys back East find more P Mints. The one thing flawed with my theory is that I am also closed to San Francisco too and out of 5000 coins I can usually can count the S mint's on maybe my fingers and a few toes. Is that also typical? Are people getting coin, removing the key dates and selling them in rolls? The sad thing is that I may look at 200 1999's and 197 of them are D mints. Finding an WAM in just 3 coins out of several boxes will take a long time and many boxes to get lucky to find one. :l It is amazing to look at these things. Rarely are the coins exactly alike. Each seems to have a story to tell, unfortunately 99% are just a short story, but it is the book I am looking for. Someday I am sure.

i do on occasion buy a roll of a particular year but they can be rather pricey. In some cases I can look in a whole box of coins for the price of one roll and there is still no guarantee that one will find anything in either the roll or box. The life of a coin collector. :l
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!