Mint Error or PSD on a 1967 Kennedy Half Dollar

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
beasleybiz
Coining Around

Mint Error or PSD on a 1967 Kennedy Half Dollar

#1 Unread post by beasleybiz »

Hello, I am new to numismatics have inherited a small collection of US silver coins dating back to 1807. I found this one while cataloging and do not fully understand the error terminology. I wondered if anyone has seen this type of error/damage before and could explain it to me. The coin is a 1967 clad Kennedy half. The obverse of this coin shows a very sharp left side but only a very thin crescent shape, the rest of the coin is more deeply indented and seems out of focus. The reverse is fine showing no sign of "fuzziness". I have attached scans since I am sure my description is lacking. Any and all help is appreciated.
Obverse:
Obverse of the '61 Kennedy showing strike error/damage
Obverse of the '61 Kennedy showing strike error/damage
Reverse:
Reverse of the '61 Kennedy no damage
Reverse of the '61 Kennedy no damage

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mint Error or PSD on a 1967 Kennedy Half Dollar

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting such a nice coin. It appears to be a double struck, off center, obverse indent.

beasleybiz
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by beasleybiz »

I had thought of an indent when I read the description, but then thought that I should see another design from the strike. Maybe I am not understanding the process though. I will have to read on it. Thanks for the direction. :yourock:

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Here's some other images for reference.
http://coins.ha.com/common/search_resul ... Sold=0&Ns=

beasleybiz
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by beasleybiz »

I couldn't get the linked page to come up, but I wonder about the one linked below, it has a reverse look similar to my obverse.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kennedy-Half-Re ... 1c207b6b1f
Thin metal strike through is what they are calling it, it has similarities to mine in that the struck through area is "fuzzy" with a clearly defined unaffected area. It is also a 1967 Kennedy half, so maybe we're looking at a series of mint errors where the clad layer came off of one coin stuck in the die hit mine (mine still has the circular indent shape same size as another half), got deformed dropped into the reverse die and created the reverse strike through there. Far fetched I'm sure, but plausible?

Not that I doubt your wisdom, I have spent all day looking for double struck, off center, obverse indent and have been scrolling the errors category on eBay looking for something similar until I came across this one.

beasleybiz
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by beasleybiz »

Also a follow up ? Would this coin be worth more than the $30 to have it graded?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

http://coins.ha.com/common/search_resul ... Sold=0&Ns=

Try this one.

Ebay isn't a good place to identify a raw mint error. Heritage Coin Auctions is much better for image references.

I am not a mint error expert. I can help identify the most obvious and popular, but some of them, I must research. So, don't worry about doubting me. widegrin

I did find a struck through clad layer image http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=404&lotNo=5376

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Struck through a clad layer is my guess on this one and yes I believe it would be worth having slabbed by one of the top three .
Roger

beasleybiz
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by beasleybiz »

As a follow up, I finally had time to send it off. I got it back graded MS60
Struck Through Split Clad Layer 11.58GMS Corroded
So they validated the mint error.
Thanks for the guidance.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

That's great to hear, thanks for posting the update.