1977 Help?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
btmorse
Coining Around

1977 Help?

#1 Unread post by btmorse »

I'm relatively new to coin collecting and came across this 1977. I've been unable to find anything similar around. Can anyone help me out?
Attachments
DDO-12.jpg
DDO-13.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1977 Help?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your interesting coin. It looks like someone laid a another cent on top of it and hit it with a hammer or something. The reason I think this is because the other date and LIBERTY look incuse and this is the opposite of what a triple strike coin should look. Here's some Triple Struck images that might help http://coinauctionshelp.com/multiplestr ... rrors.html

btmorse
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by btmorse »

If there had been another coin placed on top of this one and pressure somehow exerted (i.e. hammer, or something else) wouldn't the inverted dates and lettering be backwards??

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, it would be. That slipped my notice, but doesn't explain why the extra numbers are not raised off the surface. You do have a point. What does the reverse look like?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I think a better image for both sides of the coin will be the only way to give a valid opinion. I have looked at the image multiple times and there's just no way to determine much from these image.

btmorse
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by btmorse »

I think that it is a multiple strike like you had suggested earlier. I had noticed an outline of the back of Lincolns head and an outline of the front of his suit. I have outlined it a little for you. The back is unremarkable.
Attachments
DDO-13-1.jpg
1977-R.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Can you take a good image of the obverse as well? I saw what you outlined but my concern is the area of the date.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#8 Unread post by pahwa »

:greatfind:
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by Maineman750 »

I took the liberty of getting an opinion from Mike Diamond....you have a very nice error:
"This is a genuine error. The coin was struck one through a shifted, late-stage die cap. Several shift-and-strike events preceded the strike that created this coin. The several sets of normally-oriented incuse design elements are characteristic of such errors. "
Roger

clyde
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by clyde »

:greatfind: looks like you have a :winnah:

:w

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by dipper13 »

It looks real to me. I think you have a valuable error coin. It is the second 77 I have seen. Both had multiple images on the face of the coin. SUPER!!

btmorse
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by btmorse »

Woohoo!! My first nice find. Any idea to find out the potential value range?

Brian

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#13 Unread post by Maineman750 »

I would think in the $20 range
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

btmorse wrote:Woohoo!! My first nice find. Any idea to find out the potential value range?

Brian
Here's one example http://coins.ha.com/common/search_resul ... pped%20die
Last edited by Daniel on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link To Heritage Auctions Changed

btmorse
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by btmorse »

Wow That one was a double strike and not as blatant and it sold for $230.00.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#16 Unread post by Nolifeking »

btmorse wrote:Wow That one was a double strike and not as blatant and it sold for $230.00.

All depends on the market too. That is a proof and a fairly high one at that not to mention professionally graded and attributed.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#17 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Just remember the description I gave you above. It came from one of the top Lincoln cent experts in the US. Daniel's coin is a double struck, not a capped die.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

btmorse wrote:Wow That one was a double strike and not as blatant and it sold for $230.00.
It was my mistake that I posted a Double Struck coin as a value reference. Here's a better indicator of the value of your coin http://coins.ha.com/common/search_resul ... pped%20die