1944 D Wheat Penny D stamped in 4

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
JonC
Coin Collector

1944 D Wheat Penny D stamped in 4

#1 Unread post by JonC »

Hello to all. I am new to this and it is my first post. After retirement I began to collect and cherry pick. My son also got into it also and after looking through his grandfathers change jar. He found this amazing 1944 wheat penny which I believe has a D mint mark over the first 4. After he showed it to me I told him I thought he found a great penny. Just would like your thoughts and am i right about this mint mark being on the first 4. Also should we get this coin graded?
Attachments
1944 Front
1944 Front
1944 Back
1944 Back
1944 Date zoomed in
1944 Date zoomed in

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1944 D Wheat Penny D stamped in 4

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Pareidolia....

Contact Mark from circulation
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

MLC
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by MLC »

I agree
ANA Member
NGC Member

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

In 1944, there was nothing on the penny dies to make coins look like this. You have a very interesting looking coincidental hit mark.

you said:
Also should we get this coin graded?

Please make sure to do some reading about what coin grading companies actually are for before you lose money using them. They have a place in the hobby, but its not what most people think.
As an example, this coin, once you sent it to them and PAID them to grade it, would come back in what they call a "body bag" as a damaged coin...and you would be out the cost of grading.

Grading companies do not try and figure out what coins are. They are simply a business designed to assign a grade.

If a person knows they have a variety, and they check the specific grading company they send the coin to recognizes that specific variety, then the coin's owner can PAY to have the company label the slab as being that variety. They must use expensive ink.

...and the companies often get it wrong...read the link below in my signature for a real eye opener - verifiable with links you can check for yourself and quotations form the PCGS website.

Also know a slabbed coin can be broken out, resubmitted to the same company, and never get the same grade again. Yet people will pay thousands for that one extra grade point sometimes. The money people pay for a slabbed coin is not about the coin. The spent money is for the coin+slab+label, and the added, artificial value part form the slab and label disappears if the coin is removed from the slab.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

JonC
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by JonC »

Thank you for all the replies. I have to admit I am having fun. Ill try to post some of the others I have found in the coming days. One other interesting Lincoln cent I found and was able to identify through photos in Wexler's is a 1973 D Reverse Die Subsidence Error. I'll Post that one next. I did join PCGS but have been reluctant to send anything yet. Partly because I am still learning how to mitigate cost and if it is worth sending. Or would I be spending more than the coin would be worth. For now I have them in the Cardboard clips that have the sealant already so no staples are used. I will have to say you guys and CoinhelpU is awesome. I love history and enjoy spending time with my son looking for cool coins and preserving them. Thanks again and I look forward to the ride. My name is Jon and I am from Greenville NC.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I would give you some friendly advice. I would do some research on error-ref.com and wexlers doubleddie.com website and ABOVE ALL, don't jump to conclusions as above. Thinking there's letters and numbers where they shouldn't be, varieties like that are known and it's best to study them out and look at the images of known examples and how they occur.