Letters on reverse rim above United ans "ST" of states

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
KristapherGunn

Letters on reverse rim above United ans "ST" of states

#1 Unread post by KristapherGunn »

Hey there everybody! I was just about to throw this one back out of my change and I noticed some lettering on the reverse rim above United and the S and T of states. I am trying to find a name for this? Is it a die clash? Is it rare? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Image_2021-03-17 14_11_00_057.JPG
20210317_141415.jpg
20210317_141721.jpg
20210317_141805.jpg
20210317_141833.jpg
20210317_141931.jpg
20210317_142157.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Letters on reverse rim above United ans "ST" of states

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I don't see letters, looks like marks or toning causing shapes and if there's incuse letters than it was caused by another coin after mint.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Man these are coming out of the woodwork like termites. Hey K, it looks like someone laid a coin on top of your coin and whacked it with a Estwing 22 oz Straight Rip Claw, Framing Hammer - with Smooth Face. Anytime you see anything "indented" in a coin it is usually post mint damage (PMD). But keep hunting, and may all the VAMS be yours (well maybe not all, leave some for Earl)
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

KristapherGunn

#4 Unread post by KristapherGunn »

Sorry not letters.... tops of letters. In the second to last photo the light is reflecting off of the raised parts of the "tops of letters" on the rim. I have two pennies that I found in a box that were vice jobs and they had indentations and the letters were backwards. The raised parts on the rim are obviously an extension of the letter below. They have the same width for example, above the U and N. These marks for lack of a better word are raised not an indentation. Like I said it looks like the tops of the letters were cut off.

KristapherGunn

#5 Unread post by KristapherGunn »

This is what it is! Rim-restricted design duplication
Definition: Rim-restricted design duplication: This rare form of doubling has to date only been detected on Presidential dollars (Washington to Madison), several 1994 cents, and a 2004 cent. It always occurs on the face struck by the hammer die. After reaching the lowest point of its downstroke, the hammer die bounces up, shifts to one side, and lands lightly on the design rim, leaving a set of raised design elements. It is also sometimes referred to as “one-sided, rim-restricted design duplication”.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Coin Mule »

So K, if you are so sure, send it out and have it attributed and slabbed, then it would be worth even more. That would end the discussion, and you would would have found the unicorn of a lifetime.

Edit: By the way, nobody buys a unicorn like that without attribution and certification, good try though. A for effort.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10

KristapherGunn

#7 Unread post by KristapherGunn »

I will get it attributed now that I know what it is. I'm sorry? Nice try? I haven't tried to sell it at all? I will however take the "A" for effort though, thank you!

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey K, assuming that you are displaying what Alan Greenspan termed as "Irrational exuberance" , thinking you have found a unicorn, let us consider the following.

The images I have taken my observations from are here http://www.error-ref.com/rim-restricted ... n%E2%80%9D.

1. There are no tops of letters on your coin, just indentations on the rim, between the raised portion of the letters on the coin

2.The pressure that coin dies function under will flatten the rim, and leave a clear letter indentation, yours does not have that.

3.There is a small sharp ridge under the restamped rim on the Attributed coin, yours does not have this.

3. Finally, if you look at "WE" in the attributed coin, you will see that the rim is flattened well before and after. Yours is not flattened before the U, in fact it looks to be the regular strike dimensions

But get it attributed, and maybe we can all learn from this
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10

KristapherGunn

#9 Unread post by KristapherGunn »

I'm sorry but you are wrong and its because of the crappy pictures and for that I am sorry. I was able to get a few more opinions on this coin and one of them sent me a link with pictures and an article on this matter. From that I was able to determine that what I have found is the same thing. I never said I found a Unicorn, you did. I have never tried to sell it I just found this yesterday and came to you guys to ask if someone knew what it was called that's it! You assume to much coin mule. Thanks for your time.

KristapherGunn

#10 Unread post by KristapherGunn »

That's the same article that the other person sent me. I'm not really set up to take pictures like the ones shown in that article but I can see it clear as day with my loop. Thanks again.

KristapherGunn

#11 Unread post by KristapherGunn »

Hey coin mule, did you know that this coin is not even something that a third party will grade? It's not really worth anything. So my question for you is why do you waste my time and yours telling me I need to get it graded and no one will by it unless it is graded. I came here for advice not to be patronized and insulted. I feel like if you are not here to help then what are you doing? It seems like you need to learn much more than coins. Good luck. This will be the last time I come here for advice!