My silver eagle seems to have an error?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Blondebear
Coining Around

My silver eagle seems to have an error?

#1 Unread post by Blondebear »

Hello! I just recently got an American Silver Eagle. As I was checking it out and inspecting it, I noticed a die chip on lady liberty's lip. It is a 2017 (2020) PCGS PR69DCAM - US Mint Special Issue. I have searched and searched, but can't find much about errors on Silver Eagles. Would this die chip affect the grade? How would this affect value, if at all? Is it considered an error? Any information is welcome! Thanks in advance!
PXL_20210122_055017243.jpg
PXL_20210122_054903131.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Expert

Re: My silver eagle seems to have an error?

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Yes , tiny chip . No Added Value , JMO based on research .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

The reason you cannot find info about die chips specifically on ASEs is b/c die chips occur on all coins. Die chips also can occur anywhere on the coin. Therefore they are not collectable when so very small, nor do they add any value to the coin. Looking for things this small on coins is not going to produce anything you really want to find (as in has extra value or collectible lure). To help out, go to error-ref.com and spend some time looking around at what errors are collectible. :)
Fact Check the grading Companies:
Fact checking grading company shortcomings on NO FG halves:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

Blondebear
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Blondebear »

I have read quite a bit on error-ref.com, I just am still not completely clear on exactly what is or isn't added value. I'm noticing a pattern however. I'm thinking that when there is an error, if you can actually see it without a scope, then it could add value or "collectable lure"? Am I on the right track?

Blondebear
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Blondebear »

On another note, It was a cool thing to find, but I think it is absolutely ugly! Makes her look like she has a mole on her lip! Lol

SensibleSal66
Coin Expert

#6 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Okay .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

Blondebear wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:18 am I have read quite a bit on error-ref.com, I just am still not completely clear on exactly what is or isn't added value. I'm noticing a pattern however. I'm thinking that when there is an error, if you can actually see it without a scope, then it could add value or "collectable lure"? Am I on the right track?
Added value does come when the error is easy to see. This is why doubled dies like the 1955 cent command so much over the myriad of (what I term) micro-DDs such as those that only show thick lettering b/c the doubled image was engraved so close to the original. Its just natural for people to like what is more easily seen.
It also seems that an error type that is random in nature, such as die cracks, die chips, etc. that can occur randomly anywhere, do not command as much attention as DDOs, DDRs, mismatched dies (thinking 2008 ASE with 2007 REV) etc.
And even after saying that I can think of an exception. For the most part, RPMs, though not a random issue with a die, also do not bring in much extra value. Possibly b/ c it takes a magnifying glass to see them? IDK for sure.
Fact Check the grading Companies:
Fact checking grading company shortcomings on NO FG halves:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Way too small to be of interest.