I may have found the first 1997D double ear penny!!!

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: I may have found the first 1997D double ear penny!!!

#11 Unread post by Paul »

hugeeyes whistling2:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Ray69
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by Ray69 »

Sorry for the delay. Maybe these photos will be a little better. Still need a better camera.
Double ear reverse
Double ear reverse
Double ear reverse
Double ear reverse
Double ear reverse
Double ear reverse
Attachments
20200316_235242.jpg

Ray69
Coin Collector

#13 Unread post by Ray69 »

Oops sorry.
Double ear
Double ear

Paul

#14 Unread post by Paul »

I would need to see this firsthand, to make a proper attribution here
...... keep in mind, online image attribution using photos,....... is really a "No No"!
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Ray69
Coin Collector

#15 Unread post by Ray69 »

Should I send it to a grading company to be authenticated?and if so, ANACs or PCGS

Ray69
Coin Collector

#16 Unread post by Ray69 »

Not to doubt or mistrust you, but I'm new at this and dont know who to trust. I would love for you to examine it personally .you can understand my concern.I would hate to read about Paul discovering the first double ear D mint.please don't get me wrong, I have no reason to not trust you, but I dont know anything about you.I also know that without your advice and help that my possible discovery will stay undiscovered. Quit a delima. What do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking.

Paul

#17 Unread post by Paul »

I DO NOT WANT TO EXAMINE YOUR COIN.................
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Ray69
Coin Collector

#18 Unread post by Ray69 »

Sorry,I really hope I didn't offend you. Thanks for all your advice I am just trying to learn how to determine what is an authentic error and what might be in my imagination.I have never had a coin graded, so I have a lot to learn about the process. Thanks again for your help.

Ray69
Coin Collector

#19 Unread post by Ray69 »

I do understand about the photography. Its almost impossible to capture in a photo, what you see with your eyes.

Paul

#20 Unread post by Paul »

You cannot offend me.....
I have been doing this since 1970.....
I can say with confidence that "I have pretty much seen it all"...

:eureka:
If I have a properly imaged coin that I believe may be a variety, I will tell the poster that I would like to view it personally.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

BKDPROLLC
Coining Around

#21 Unread post by BKDPROLLC »

Interesting specimen, indeed! Take your Lincoln cent to a locally and trusted source to get their opinion and go from there. There are reliable sources on the ANA website and you can narrow down by city, state etc. I hope this helps and keep up on your ventures!

Cheers!

Ray69
Coin Collector

#22 Unread post by Ray69 »

Wow my eyes hurt after 3 weeks. I cant imagine what 50 years has done to your eyes. Bet you have eagle eyes. Lol thank you for your intrest and encouragement. Never imagined that there was that many error coin's were produced. I have found a lot of doubling and variety coins. Cant believe how addictive this is.

Ray69
Coin Collector

#23 Unread post by Ray69 »

Thanks for the advice friend, I will check out that site and hopefully I have made my first new discovery.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#24 Unread post by DSCoins »

Ray69 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:04 pm Wow my eyes hurt after 3 weeks. I cant imagine what 50 years has done to your eyes. Bet you have eagle eyes. Lol thank you for your intrest and encouragement. Never imagined that there was that many error coin's were produced. I have found a lot of doubling and variety coins. Cant believe how addictive this is.
I would be careful when talking about doubling. If you are talking Doubled Die keep in mind 99% of you may think is a doubled die is just die deterioration or Machine doubling. Again if you think you have one post it. Daniel and Paul (who by the way I trust 100% and I have not been a member here very long) when asked a question will give you a honest and straight forward answer and not some sugar coated reply. Also, keep in mind that we are fortunate to have them here. Daniel runs this board, post videos on YouTube (coinhelpu) which you should really watch if haven't already. Plus runs a coin shop. I really don't know how manages it all. As for Paul just take look at his Avatar. Again we are fortunate to have a person with his experience and expertness . A CONECA WI State Representative if your not sure what CONECA is look it up. Not to may people can claim to be a C.O.N.E.C.A Representative. So all in all, when they are given you advice on any coin they will tell you like it is, like it or not.

Thanks
DScoins
These users thanked the author DSCoins for the post (total 2):
Paul, Earle42
Rating: 6.06%

USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Ray69
Coin Collector

#25 Unread post by Ray69 »

Thanks for the background on these gentlemen, I do trust there judgment. I have been watching Daniel on YouTube. That is how I learned about this forum. Just so you know, I will trust you guys from here on. We are indeed lucky to have people with their amount of knowledge, supporting and advising us less knowledgeable hunters. Just beginning, have a great deal to learn. I look forward to journey into error coin's. So far I love it.I am still trying to differentiate between doubling and machine doubled. I will get there. I will be posting a lot of coins here and there for advice and education purposes until I learn. So I hope I dont become a nuisance. Thanks guys.

JayEff
Coin Collector

#26 Unread post by JayEff »

I know this is an old post, but I’m hoping you’re still lurking around. I’m also in south MS and would love to get to know some local collectors.