Questionable

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
ave13co
Coin Collector

Questionable

#1 Unread post by ave13co »

Take a look at this link to Wexlers ..

http://doubleddie.com/809586.html

You will see a 1958D DDO cent. The questionable part for me is that " doubling", to me, looks like MD...I have a 1958D with MD on the reverse that is much more profound than this example . There are no 1958D-DDR at Wexlers. I will post an image of my coin soon.

ave13co
Coin Collector

Re: Questionable

#2 Unread post by ave13co »

Here are some images of my 1958D cent. When I transfer images from here to the forum, I have noticed that justice isn't done. The images are not as good. So if you can enhance them on your end, your more likely to see what I see. In particular...RIBUS and UNUM. Also slight doubleing on wheat ears and E of one, N of United, C of cent. MD or DDR?
Attachments
58aaa.jpg
58bb.jpg
58dd.jpg
58cc.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

It's mechanical doubling, doesn't match Wexler's or coppercoins.com and why I recommend holding your coin up to the screen and comparing.

ave13co
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by ave13co »

There are no 1958 D to compare it to. They are supposed to be DDO. Not DDR. And what I see at the link I left is also MD. I really don't see how the 1958 D on Wexlers is a double die . It looks like MD to me.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

I do not hugeeyes see "Die Doubling" here. This is considered 'mechanical doubling'.

:eureka:
I know of only one DDR for this date and mint mark, with the very minor doubling from K9 – K11, the 1958D-1DR-001.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

ave13co
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by ave13co »

You guys missed the entire gist of my post. As you can see in the first paragraph, I know my coin is MD. What I was trying to get at was Wexlers 1958-D 1¢ WDDO-007 found at the link above. He States that doubling shows below the B in liberty. And that's it. No other doubling on that coin. I am staying that his coin ,according to his description, is no more doubled than the coin in the images above. The doubling found below the B in liberty looks just like the MD on my coin.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by mhonzell »

There is a minor difference in the two.
If you look at yours, near the ends of any letter with MD, there are not notches.

On Wexler's 1958D, there is an offset which results in a notch for the corner of the B. Notching is a key characteristic of true doubling.
Attachments
290471fe8b113329ffff85c1ffffe41e.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Mhonzell is pointing out a very integral part for determining a true doubled die.

You will notice there are more that will look confusing. Some of the MD still gets me (especially nickels, clad and silver) but the notching is the key to look for.

ave13co
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by ave13co »

It's all about your camera. Took closer pictures. Will post soon. Also, found a 1960 D RPM-002 Stage H according to what I see. Another thread.

ave13co
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by ave13co »

Here are some different images of my 58D. Please take a second look.
Attachments
new 58.JPG
new 58c.JPG
new 58d.JPG

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Nice images with the mark ups.

Sorry but it looks like MD in your new images to these tired eyes. I'm not seeing a doubled die. Not the strong kind of notching usually needed to confirm a new variety.
There is some strong die deterioration at the tops of the letters which may be affecting the MD.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

You can tell the UNUM is smaller from the die "cutting" and moving metal away from the edge of the letters and flattening it out, this is mechanical doubling.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by mhonzell »

Agree, MD
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

ave13co
Coin Collector

#14 Unread post by ave13co »

Thank you gentlemen. Will put it away and keep looking.