2008 Lincoln DDO????

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Jsul77798
Coinasieur

2008 Lincoln DDO????

#1 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Came across a 2008 LMC that appears to be a DDO. Effected areas show very well in the 8 and I in LIBERTY. I checked the usual references with no listings. Searched online and found an old post on Cointalk with the same coin and everyone responding positively on it appearing to be a DDO. ( cant for the life of me find this post again) Im not at home to post a pic rite now.

BUTwas wondering if anyone remembers anything about this and if there was a reason why no DDO was confirmed and listed for a 2008 LMC? Will post my pic shortly.
Thank you guys

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2008 Lincoln DDO????

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

If you're coin is not listed then you need to send it to Wexler. We can't help you with an unlisted coin. Pahl1 can look at it for you and you can send it to him, but that's the only way.

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Yea Dan, I was asking if there was anything you knew as to why this wouldnt be listed. Anyways, heres the pics. Best i can do with the glare. Focal points would be top of the L and I, in LIBERTY as well as the loops on the 8. I realize its no 55, but thats not my motive. As I said, when I found this, I located a really old Coin talk thread with the same coin as far as I could tell and everyone saying it looked legit.
What do ya think Pahl?

Thank you!!!!
Attachments
20190521_232225.jpg
20190521_232306.jpg
20190521_234128.jpg
20190521_232509.jpg
20190521_233949.jpg
20190521_234227.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I am not seeing a doubled die here. I see a bit of die wear "cavitation" as on the L, B and R.

There's a couple reason a doubled die isn't listed. One it is too minor or the coin was not sent off by someone to be attributed. When a doubled die is discovered it must be sent off or no one is going to know about it list it.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

I DO NOT hugeeyes any "DIE DOUBLING" here.

:eureka:
I think what you're seeing here is some 'very slight die cavitation' on LIBERTY, and 'reflect doubling' on the 8 of the date.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Fair enough...no dd...as I said and its driving me nuts as i cant find it again, after i found the cent, i found a post thst matched my coin and had positive feedback that it was a dd. Im not arguing ine is, just explaining my thoughts so i dont feel like a dope....lol....thanks again guys....

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

95% of the people online still don't understand what a DDO is so you're going to here that from at least one person. Just because a group or forum member makes a claim doesn't mean they're knowledgeable in the field.

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:53 am 95% of the people online still don't understand what a DDO is so you're going to here that from at least one person. Just because a group or forum member makes a claim doesn't mean they're knowledgeable in the field.
:agree: 101% D
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

I just wrote this all out in the comments of the dd video today. I dont think that its the not understanding what a dd is, its not understanding how to identify with certainty, out of all the classes, added die wear, effects of circulation, plating issues, other types of errors that can look similar a dd from another cause. Thats where I have an issue with and im sure others do also. And i TRY to learn. Ive read through that shazbot list on error ref so many times, and i love it.....and ive learned things and identifed things i otherwise wouldnt have...obscure things.... But there are questions that i am not finding answers to that im now figuring will only be learned by another human explaining and clarifying them...man Dan...im not trying to annoy you with all this and my posts that im feeling i am..whatever, not important...and i wont post unknown stuff anymore...but i need you to know, for my own reasons, that im not the guy that started collecting yesterday, and that dosent try to learn anything or read a book, or that wants to fight with bicker and agitiate others....i hate soundin like a kiss up, but total respect to ya...imo your putting out the most valueable numismstic info on rite now....ok....thankd

Paul

#10 Unread post by Paul »

I understand exactly where you're at!

:eureka:
It's of the utmost importance, if you're going to be a serious collector, that you will need to learn:
"THE MINTING PROCESS", from start to finish, for each type coin you have questions with.

Having memorized to this 'PROCESS', you should be able to answer/identify any issue concerning numismatics.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

I don't know where your getting that I am annoyed or that I think you're arguing. i was just pointing out that most people do not know DD's and some will say they see it when it is not. I am doing all I can to teach and help. However, there's only so much time in a day and I only have so much time. So I have to be frugal with it, I do have a family.

However, I appreciate all who watch my videos and comment. I just can't be there all the time for everyone, it's just impossible.

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#12 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

I agree totally. Understanding the minting process is a must. Maybe you might have some insight on this but I find some of the toughest things to id with certainty are issues related to the die itself. Is it struck through debris or die damage, is it well placed and shaped die damage or mistake in design transfer to the die, is it a clash mark ,pmd, die damage, or error in the design? Actually nailing down with certainty those possabilities with limited in hand confirmed examples to compare. Its amazing the odds of some contact marks being just right and perfect to resemble notching, then throw in some die wear and circulation and its tough to have the confidence to toss it in the reject bucket....I may just be ignorant in not understanding some fundamental facts that would help with the final word. Is my thinking flawed with those issues? Would love your input...thanks

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

One more questuon and this may be obvious. Especially related to new issues, cents and quarters mostly, when inspecting a coin for doubling, is it proper to only consider issues you can see stright on and not angled at all? And if you do see something stright on but not at an angle, is that still a candidate? If im correct, class 6 doubling being tilted would have to be viewed correctly and would look different if angled. But is there any issue w other classes. Its probably an obvious answer but i get hung up on details.....thanks

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

You just need to make use of the websites coppercoins.com and wexlers doubled dies and CONECA variety vista and match your coin, no match then usually it's not a DD. You can always send some to Pahl of this forum and he can help