Info on 1983-D Penny

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
John201691
Coining Around

Info on 1983-D Penny

#1 Unread post by John201691 »

Hey guys, i am new to the forum and coin collecting. I am from Canada and as you all know canada stopped production of the canadian penny and i was searching through a pile i had for quite some time and came across this 1983-D Lincoln penny among some other interesting finds and a quick google search brought me to the conclusion that it could be rare.

To start off when i say i collect i really just like the looks of some coins so i just put them away, i haven't actually looked into values/grades ect until now. In the pictures i provided i was just wondering if you guys thought this is something i should be looking into? I did weigh it on a scale and it says 3g right on the dot, the current scale i have only weighs 1g+ and not .1g so i have no real way to test it until i can get a proper scale. Further more i just thought it was a pretty cool find none the less, for me anyways. I should also add that in the pictures the color on the front and back look different but this is only due to me using a magnifying glass with a light behind it. I will post better pictures in the natural light once i get a chance.

To my understanding this coin (to be deemed valuable) should weigh 3.11g but since i do not have the right scale it could just be 2.5g but rounding it to 3g.
Attachments
03062019-1983-D-penny.jpg
03062019-1983-D-penny-back.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Info on 1983-D Penny

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

Decent scales are relatively cheap nowadays.
Attachments
SCALE CALIPER.JPG
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

John201691
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by John201691 »

Thank you, I plan on purchasing a set just like those along with a microscope but im not sure what type i want yet, i was looking at the LCD screen microscopes that are going for fairly cheap on ebay but im not too sure yet.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

Be sure to read: this
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

mhonzell wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:17 pm Be sure to read: this
The information in the link is sooooo true.

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

Nailed it!
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

You can't round 2.5 grams to 3.0 or 2.9 since 2.5 grams is what a 1983 cent is supposed to weight.

John201691
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by John201691 »

Just a quick update/question, still haven't gotten my scale yet in the mail but i did receive my USB microscope ($25 on ebay) and upon inspecting my pennies i noticed that on this 1983-D Lincoln looks to have an extra ear lobe? i compared it to a 1984 and a 1982 and what im seeing is not on either of them. So im not quite sure if this is PMD or possibly a double eared? the picture is in black and white and the coin is not that dark, i just got rid of the color in the photo so you can see what im talking about without any light glare.
Attachments
0318-7.jpg

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

... This is not a "double die", but is considered to be a "striking anomaly".
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

John201691
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by John201691 »

PALH1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:18 pm ... This is not a "double die", but is considered to be a "striking anomaly".
thank you for the info PALH1, is this something that would be considered common? im assuming it would not have a premium on it but it looks cool anyways the more i look at it.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

Looks like a well placed contact mark. All doubled ear cents are doubled die and they're called varieties. Here's my video on how to ID varieties.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/5BQnctJdOFA[/BBvideo]

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#12 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Congrats on the scope and definitely get the scale.

From what I can see, the bubbles and blisters on your coin lead me to believe it is a copper plated zinc cent. NOT solid copper.
They are visible under the chin and what is causing the anomaly around & under the Y in LIBERTY.

Paul

#13 Unread post by Paul »

John201691 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:58 pm
PALH1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:18 pm ... This is not a "double die", but is considered to be a "striking anomaly".
thank you for the info PALH1, is this something that would be considered common? im assuming it would not have a premium on it but it looks cool anyways the more i look at it.
Sorry, no premium here. Just face value.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep