1936 wheat penny, unfinished loose collar.

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Lucky
Coining Around

1936 wheat penny, unfinished loose collar.

#1 Unread post by Lucky »

This coin came out of a $25 box of pennies from the bank five years ago,1936 wheat cent with a clipped collar that is loose.Is this common cause I also found to other coins with the same thing but different dates.would it be worth the money to get graded.thank you.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1936 wheat penny, unfinished loose collar.

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Encased in a jewelry sleeve for hanging on a necklace. The actual mount has broken off. The sleeve is still in place. Once removed, you will likely find the cent damaged along the rim of the coin.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I agree.
Nice images showing the jewelry rim/sleeve. Interesting that you have found two more in the same box you searched.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree with everyone this is a type of copper bezel added post mint.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:55 am I agree with everyone this is a type of copper bezel added post mint.
:agree: D, this is a "BEZEL" missing it's 'loop', surrounding the perimeter of the cent.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Lucky
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Lucky »

Sorry,the other two coins were found over 15yrs. prior to finding the 1936 coin and different times,the both were 1944 wheat pennies and back then I did remove there collars and still have it!. Unfortunately I did not keep the coins with the collars or even thought of weighting them to check if the weight changed any.
When I have the time I will post pictures of the two collars and then start searching my thousands of wheat pennies for the 1944s and check the weights,will keep you posted and thanks again for all your inputs,gladly appreciated......happy hunting.