2013-P Jefferson Major Trail Die w/ Wavy Steps

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
TheCoinGuy
Coin Collector

2013-P Jefferson Major Trail Die w/ Wavy Steps

#1 Unread post by TheCoinGuy »

Here's an unusual Variety/Error coin I'd like to share. The coin could be in better condition, but it should be able to give those not familiar with it a better feel for the error. Trail Dies have increased in numbers and severity since the institution of the single squeeze minting process. They are thought to occur as the die receives it's design elements. The die scrapes horizontally against the hub leaving recessed trails in the die which start strong from the raised devices on the hub, and "trail" off weaker as the die and hub separate.
This nickel is classified as a Major Trail Die because of the number and strength of trails. It's also given the Wavy Step classification because of the trails running through the steps. These errors can be found in circulation on any modern day denomination. I hope you enjoy it.
DSCN3379.JPG
DSCN3370.JPG

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: 2013-P Jefferson Major Trail Die w/ Wavy Steps

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Man, that is a really nice example that shows the trails easily. Nice images.

TheCoinGuy
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by TheCoinGuy »

Thanks bud, I'm glad you like it. I have about forty different ones. I like em too.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I like these as well and good images and thanks for the explanation; it sure helps the readers learn.

Shared to our social media crowd as well.

TheCoinGuy
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by TheCoinGuy »

Cool, thanks Daniel. I'm starting to settle in here. Nice site, easy to find my way around. I have already added to my knowledge here and am happy to help others as well.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#6 Unread post by Paul »

hugeeyes this link, it might help ??

LINK
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

TheCoinGuy
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by TheCoinGuy »

Thanks PALH1. I've read BJ's theory several times, it's what this post was based on. His theory for the most part, sounds perfectly logical to me. I've incorporated the major parts of it in this post, the ones that I feel are most likely to be fact. BJ is one of the leading experts in our hobby, having dealt with him many times, I believe he'd agree theories and/or any parts thereof are not reserved exclusively for the experts. I also agree (for the most part) with his theory on the formation of Anti-Trail Dies. Anti-Trails are incuse trails on coins. I found one a while back, and being familiar with Trail Dies, I immediately had a theory how they occur ( even with my nominal understanding of the minting processes). I thought I'd discovered them, and was going to name them Bizzaro Trails. Then I found out BJ already had a theory on them, and it was almost identical to mine. It's too bad the Mint won't cooperate with us on studies of some of the errors. I lieu of that, part of the track we run on must be of theories.

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

notice that these are "THEORIES",........

QUESTION:
why have i not seen 'trail dies' in VEDS1 coins ? :confused:

1. VEDS = very early die state
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

TheCoinGuy
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by TheCoinGuy »

QUESTION:

You won't see many in later die stages because the trails are only slightly recessed in the dies. As the die wears, they are among the first things to disappear. I think VLDS (very late die state) is what you meant.
Last edited by TheCoinGuy on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheCoinGuy
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by TheCoinGuy »

Pardon me please. I'm new here and must review the quote process.

Paul

#11 Unread post by Paul »

TheCoinGuy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:48 pm QUESTION:

You won't see many in later die stages because the trails are only slightly recessed in the dies. As the die wears, they are among the first things to disappear. I think VLDS (very late die state) is what you meant.
nope
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep