1985D Linc.cent off center strike/offset rotation/dd stamping/both sides & more

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
astralea1692
Coining Around

1985D Linc.cent off center strike/offset rotation/dd stamping/both sides & more

#1 Unread post by astralea1692 »

This one I acquired , but cannot find one similar anywhere..yet, & I've looked lots!!! Anyhelp would be grand!! Off center strike, offset rotation, double stamping, Found the D mm, after looking through digital microscope pic.s, Also has some bubbles & sm. holes[not all the way through it], along with some sliding gashes & possibly foreign matter..grease? It came as AUBN..but no papers. Help...please. Thanks, astralea1692
Attachments
obv...starts showing, immed., what I'm referring to.
obv...starts showing, immed., what I'm referring to.
Image275.jpg
Image276.jpg
Image277.jpg
Image282.jpg
Image284.jpg
Image289.jpg
Last edited by astralea1692 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1985D Linc.cent-broadstrike/offset strike/dd stamping/both sides & more

#2 Unread post by Paul »

these are referred to as an "OFF CENTER STRIKE"....

:eureka:
being able to make out the 'date & mm', is always a +
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Can't really tell if there might be remnants of a clash or die gouge on the reverse also. In bay 10 & 11 (counting from the left) there is extra metal, slightly off-horizontal.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

This is an off center strike that is also damaged and has some corrosion around the Mint mark.

astralea1692
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by astralea1692 »

Thanks, All!!! I do know I posted the term wrong--realized it after I was in bed...lol. Kind of brain dead from all the searching & reading online yesterday. Seriously, I really wanted answers & am elated to get yours!! And Yes, Petespockets...you noticed what I didn't point out, thanks!! Appreciate all of your feedbacks & help. Also, Mr. Daniel...I will double check again-but am pretty certain most is not from post mint damage, maybe a little, but it's had me confused for a long time now-so yep, I'll look real hard & while more alert!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

When you have made this your life study and wrote articles, phone apps and website material and study mint errors and varieties everyday, it is a bit difficult for a novice to realize how easy it is for me to discern damage from a mint error. When you understand the mint error process as I do then you can say 100% what error can happen to a coin and if it is damage or not.

Your coin is off center but is is also damaged. A damaged error is worth less.

astralea1692
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by astralea1692 »

Thank you, Mr. Daniel..hope to be where you are someday...really! And in reference to Mr. Pete's response, I am adding two more photos of the rev., zoning in more on the bays of Memorial...hope it helps! Thanks again!! I really enjoy this site!
Attachments
rev.mem.bays<br />rev./mem. bays up close &amp; personal[sorry-funny pun].
rev.mem.bays
rev./mem. bays up close & personal[sorry-funny pun].
diff. angle rev./bays up close
diff. angle rev./bays up close

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1985D Linc.cent off center strike/offset rotation/dd stamping/both sides & more

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

The 1985-D is a copper plated, zinc planchet and sometimes there's gas occlusions or plating bubbling that is caused by trapped gas in between the plating and the planchet that expand after the strike.

Often these burst and expose the zinc which oxidizes "white" then turns black and the same can happen if the copper plating is scratched deep enough. This is what you're seeing on this coin and around the mint mark.

astralea1692
Coining Around

Re: 1985D Linc.cent off center strike/offset rotation/dd stamping/both sides & more

#9 Unread post by astralea1692 »

Well thank you! I'll try and look for this now that the process of this copper plating zinc, has been explained more in depth. Helpful for sure! Thanks!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

But it doesn't add value to the coin.

Garrynaples
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by Garrynaples »

A picture of the entire coin would have been helpful. It looks to me about 40-50% off center.

Garrynaples
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by Garrynaples »

Also pictures of the entire coin with some marking of the 2x2 or a staple placement can determine how much the coin is rotated if at all. I have a few 2 cent pieces, 1864 and 1865 that are rotated 180 degrees. And an Indian Cent.

astralea1692
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by astralea1692 »

Thank you Mr. Garynaples....I will do this. I realized my first mistake was photo w/coin in holder. It's actually the first time I was trying to get some info...but I'm a quick learner & what you said about the rotation, helped me, logically too!![And my digital microscope is still new...but think I have the hang of it now...been playing & practicing w/it. Really neat!] Lol. Thanks...I will post the new pic.s shortly here. REALLY appreciate your help!!!! astralea1692

astralea1692
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by astralea1692 »

Hey there Mr Garynaples...Hope I've managed what you requested of me. I was not quite sure on the rotation directions, [first I've tried that scenario] but I turned the coin over, exactly as it was laid, without turning/rotating or moving it out of sync. Also added full view pic.s ...Hope it helps? Thank you, kindly~
Attachments
obv. [laying on top of open holder, lines are showing middle &amp; how I turned it exactly, over.
obv. [laying on top of open holder, lines are showing middle & how I turned it exactly, over.
rev. [same info.]
rev. [same info.]
obv. full view (Not in holder, laying on top)
obv. full view (Not in holder, laying on top)
rev. full view (Not in holder, laying on top)
rev. full view (Not in holder, laying on top)