Are my coins error coins ?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Francesway
Coining Around

Are my coins error coins ?

#1 Unread post by Francesway »

Would anyone have any feedback about these coins.The two pennies are what I'm having the most trouble researching,the oldest is 1964(I like to call it my Lincon Zombie Penny).The other one is 1971 I believe. Not sure about date on dime
Attachments
1484392931257-535493459.jpg
1484393120288-1319547692.jpg
1484393228596745883192.jpg
14843932950811622834311.jpg
1484393332002-1695366414.jpg
1484393380236-1286845152.jpg

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Are my coins error coins ?

#2 Unread post by dipper13 »

These are pmd, post mint damage. One is gouged ,one is flattened by a heavy weight, the other was wheeled by a power tool.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree, all of these coins are damaged.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote:I agree, all of these coins are damaged.

:agree:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

aaron.roig
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by aaron.roig »

Is this a real error quarter? It has the reverse of a nickle on Washington's head. His head has no damage I can see his hair is puffy and perfect. I can see the words in reverse from a nickle . The quarter weight is 5.73. I found it in a jar of change and I naught it for a 12 pack . I drank half. So it was a good deal real or fake.
Attachments
Is this a real Error? It's a reverse of a nickle on Washington's face
Is this a real Error? It's a reverse of a nickle on Washington's face

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

That is the impression left behind by a nickel being pressed into the quarter (vise maybe?). The letters from the second being in reverse is a give away. If it happened from the dies the devices would normal.

shane.bronson
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by shane.bronson »

Ive got a 1967 no mint the front of penny is almost smooth and a little rounded the reverse side has what appears to b a site crack from top to bottom of coin

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

shane.bronson wrote:Ive got a 1967 no mint the front of penny is almost smooth and a little rounded the reverse side has what appears to b a site crack from top to bottom of coin
Welcome to the forum but please post images of the coin, front and back so we can help you. Thanks.

aaron.roig
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by aaron.roig »

His face is 3d . Coin is heavier. It looks like someone took a razor blade to a nickle , heated it and slapped it perfectly on his face. Ita a see threw image nothing looks flat at all if anything it's a thicker coin

aaron.roig
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by aaron.roig »

Thank you everyone for any help I just don't think anyone can make this coin.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

aaron.roig wrote:Thank you everyone for any help I just don't think anyone can make this coin.
It didn't happen at the mint, errors at the mint can't happen like this and with the image it is difficult to tell how someone did it, but heat could be one method. I have a box of damaged coins and eventually I will put all of them up on the website so all can see what people have done to coins.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#12 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

aaron.roig wrote:His face is 3d . Coin is heavier. It looks like someone took a razor blade to a nickle , heated it and slapped it perfectly on his face. Ita a see threw image nothing looks flat at all if anything it's a thicker coin
Your description here makes it sound like there might be residue (glue?) left on the quarter with the impression of the nickel in it. See if you can pick it off or move it with a toothpick.
Can you weigh the coin with a scale in grams?

tonia.ray
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by tonia.ray »

What are your thoughts on this?
Attachments
Picture_20174526124527.jpg
Picture_20174426124406.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

It is worn and struck by a grease filled die and often found.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#15 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I agree with Daniel.

margarita.baez
Coining Around

#16 Unread post by margarita.baez »

Hi everyone, I’m margarita new member, I have this nickle and don’t know what kind of error is this , has something in the middle of one eye ,
Hi , I’m margarita new member, I have this nickle but I don’t know what kind of error is this , if someone can let me know please, thank you
Hi , I’m margarita new member, I have this nickle but I don’t know what kind of error is this , if someone can let me know please, thank you
Attachments
7B22BB4C-EAB0-4A76-AF4D-EA09086F8961.jpeg
43751952-88E0-4EBD-B27C-696E01016998.jpeg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Daniel »

It's marks from being hit during circulation. You're looking too close to coins here. You want to look for major varieties like doubled dies and mint errors, but tiny anamolies.

Paul

#18 Unread post by Paul »

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#19 Unread post by DSCoins »

For the record, this post covers multiple photo imaging does and don’ts

If you have a digital camera you would get better photos, then with the USB Microscope. I know that for those who give the most info as to if the coin is a doubled die, clashed dies etc. They do NOT like photos from a microscope. These types of photo have a bad habit of making you think there is something there when there is nothing. I can just see them cringing when anyone tells them. "I'll be able to get better photos after getting a new USB microscope".

If you have more than one coin you want someone to look at, you should make separate posts for each coin (new topic for each coin). This will make it easier for someone to look at and give you a more accurate opinion of the coin. Posting them in the same post can make it be confusing to follow the coins. As for posting a separate coin in the topic for comparison, those who are giving you their opinion are very knowable in what should and should not be on the coin. Thus, you do not need one. Again, that falls back on one coin one topic, two coins two topics

When posting photos of a coin you would like someone to look at, you should post a photo of the full Obverse and Reverse. Try to take these photos as clear and close as possible. It would also be helpful if you could crop these photos. Next, take the photos of the area in question again as clear as possible. If you could find some way to point out the area you would like looked at. Either by using a photo editing program or give an exceptionally good description of the area. If you do not have a photo editing program there are three free programs you can get. They are PhotoScape, Inkscape and Gimp. Of all of them PhotoScape is by far the easiest to learn and use.
Again using a microscope to take photos is highly discouraged. I know it troubles them, and they do not like telling you, that you need to take the photo's again as they cannot see it due to bad photos. or not be able to tell you what is exactly there (error/variety) or just PMD.

The last thing Is If someone posted a topic with their own coin, you should be curios and open a new topic with your coin. Don't just jump into someone else's topic with yours. IE hijack their topic.

I hope this covers it all. If not, more will be added as needed.

Thanks
DScoins
These users thanked the author DSCoins for the post:
Paul
Rating: 2.94%

USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901