A few questions...

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
j_a/forever
Coining Around

A few questions...

#1 Unread post by j_a/forever »

I just have a few questions I hope anybody could answer to help me get rid of alot of the coins with possible errors that I'm holding on to.
1. In a true lamination error will the certain area on the coin appear to be indented?
2. Is it possible to find a coin that has more than one error on it?
3. What errors would likely be the most valuable outside of a true double die?
4. Which denomination out of the four (25c,10c,5c,1c) holds the the largest amount of sought sought after coins?
:confused:
ALSO: I know it is a pretty bad picture but if anybody thinks they can tell whether this is machine doubling or true doubling please let me know. Also let me know if better more clear pictures are needed of the coin and I will provide them. I checked the whole coin under strong magnification, and this is the only 3 Letters/spots on the coin that appear to be doubled. Why is it that it is only in these 3 letters and nowhere else?
Attachments
20161217_205231.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A few questions...

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

1. Lamination error is where a thin layer of the planchet splits off due to impurities in the metal and sometimes it is retained and looks like metal leaf on the coin and other times it falls off and leave a grainy incuse area on the coin.

2. It is possible for coins to have more than one error and it doesn't really add any value since an error must be dramatic to add much value.

3. Doubled dies are not that rare, a few are but most are not, and a doubled die is not particularly an error but a die variety that supposedly happened on accident. All mint errors are unique, none occur exactly alike but some are similar and value is based on the grade of the coin, the type and denomination as well as how dramatic the error or the error type. Bonded multiple strikes, die caps and missing clad layers that are graded as authentic are valuable errors; but there's obviously more.

4. Can't give an answer for this one except you can visit CONECA's variety vista for that information. Although the Lincoln Cent probably holds that record.

You're coin is machine doubled in the image and the area can be small or on most of the coin, it just depends on how the die moves when it is loose and not adjusted properly.

You should visit my website here for Mint Error Coins and this one for Non-Mint Errors

You should also buy a book called The Official Price Guide to Mint Errors by Herbert and read it cover to cover, doesn't matter what edition, just get one. I love mine.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Don't the images show both going on. Machine doubling (under the base of each letter). But it shows thickness towards the top of each letter as well as the "hook" upward on the bottom of the E. And when you remove the MD portion of the letter there still appears to be extra thickness on the tops. :confused:

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

It looks like optical trick of the shadows and sometimes die cavity wear can distort letters and numbers. Need to see entire coin anyway.

j_a/forever
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by j_a/forever »

Daniel wrote:1. Lamination error is where a thin layer of the planchet splits off due to impurities in the metal and sometimes it is retained and looks like metal leaf on the coin and other times it falls off and leave a grainy incuse area on the coin.

2. It is possible for coins to have more than one error and it doesn't really add any value since an error must be dramatic to add much value.

3. Doubled dies are not that rare, a few are but most are not, and a doubled die is not particularly an error but a die variety that supposedly happened on accident. All mint errors are unique, none occur exactly alike but some are similar and value is based on the grade of the coin, the type and denomination as well as how dramatic the error or the error type. Bonded multiple strikes, die caps and missing clad layers that are graded as authentic are valuable errors; but there's obviously more.

4. Can't give an answer for this one except you can visit CONECA's variety vista for that information. Although the Lincoln Cent probably holds that record.

You're coin is machine doubled in the image and the area can be small or on most of the coin, it just depends on how the die moves when it is loose and not adjusted properly.

You should visit my website here for Mint Error Coins and this one for Non-Mint Errors

You should also buy a book called The Official Price Guide to Mint Errors by Herbert and read it cover to cover, doesn't matter what edition, just get one. I love mine.
Great beneficial information I love it thank you :yourock:
I will definatley visit your website and I'm working on the book, just probably gunna wait till after the holidays to get the book.
After I get off off work today I'll see about getting some better more clear pictures of that particular coin for you, the whole thing. But that's what I was wondering as the other person commented it looks like machine doubling for sure at the bottom but the top has a notch area on all three let's and extra thickness. Could maybe be a class VIII double die? Or just an extreme case of machine doubling. .