Cumberland Gap Quarter Error????

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
karbak71
Coining Around

Cumberland Gap Quarter Error????

#1 Unread post by karbak71 »

Hello All
I am really, really new to coin collecting and have problems recognizing true errors. Can someone look at these pictures and tell me if this is a die Crack or some kind of error? I'm hoping the pics are even good enough.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Karlon
Attachments
Picture_20162410102426.jpg
Picture_20162410102411.jpg
Picture_20162410102401.jpg
Picture_20162310102345.jpg
Picture_20162310102317.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cumberland Gap Quarter Error????

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I can't tell what that is, the images are blurry when I enlarge. Could be a die chip.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by mhonzell »

I'm tending to agree with Daniel. Looks like a die chip. Kind of an odd place for one.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

karbak71
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by karbak71 »

I will try to send better pictures. Thank you

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

And please include where the area in question starts and ends. Or better yet, if you have an editing program mark or circle it on the images. Thanks.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#6 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote:I can't tell what that is, the images are blurry when I enlarge. Could be a die chip.
:agree:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

karbak71
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by karbak71 »

Hello all,
I'd like to post better pics of this plus many other coins I have questions about.
Can someone please advise on the best way to take pics, what mp the photos should be taken at, etc....

Thank you and I look forward to your expert snswers.
Karlon

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by mhonzell »

The hardest part of taking the picture is holding the camera still once it is focused. It doesn't take much to blur a blown up coin image.

Most cell phones or point and shoots have enough MP for the pic, 3MP is probably the minimum, but it is more important to fill the frame with the coin, if the camera will focus that close.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote:The hardest part of taking the picture is holding the camera still once it is focused. It doesn't take much to blur a blown up coin image.

Most cell phones or point and shoots have enough MP for the pic, 3MP is probably the minimum, but it is more important to fill the frame with the coin, if the camera will focus that close.
M's got it here....
you can have the perfect lighting & perfect focus,.....but if the camera is not perfectly still..... :s

:eureka:
my equipment is so sensitive, the tiny cycle humm from a CPAP 25' away (breathing machine), will blur my pics !!
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

karbak71
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by karbak71 »

Thank you, great advise. I think a tripod will help tremendiusly. I will work on the pictures and ask for your patience. I'm working Graves right now and don't have a lot of spare time. I definitely look forward to posting more pics so I can learn more. I never knew coin collecting would be so interesting. I'm embracing my inner nerd. Lol

Mr. Freeze
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by Mr. Freeze »

I am still new to this, but every coin i get i thoroughly examine under up to 50x magnification. My question pertains to these new cumberland gap quarter i have included to pics, i know where the discrepancy is located but want some opinions from the community. I will uplad another pic of the front of coin with some other bizarre flaw, but not sure if it is pmd. Any help would be greatly appreciated thatnk you all.
Attachments
Left one is possible error?
Left one is possible error?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by mhonzell »

I am not complaining about your photography skills, but we cannot always see what you see and when we look closely at the photo it's just blurry. So, it is always best to point to where you think there is something suspicious. Again, we have analyzed a myriad of blurry pictures, but we need a starting point.

That said, is this the same "error" as the previous post? If so, the angle of lighting is hiding it on the left coin.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#13 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Yes. Lighting makes a big difference. The "V" of the coat under the neck could be different or just different light. Or it could be the gun barrel. "Point" us in a the right direction to look. hugeeyes Thanks.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

This is just not how we do things in this forum, if you want help tell us what you think you're seeing. With that said I don't see anything special about these coins and most minor errors have no extra value.

CopperFinger
Coin Wizz

#15 Unread post by CopperFinger »

Hi Mr. Freeze,and Welcome. I think I see the area in question underneigh the Gun on the arm were it bends. It does look like a small Die Chip to me which would make it a coin struck from a damaged Die.

CopperFinger
Coin Wizz

#16 Unread post by CopperFinger »

Yes I bought a cheepy tripod for about 7 bucks and works wonders. I don't know how good your picture taking skills are but the thing that helped Me most was to obtain an owners Manual for my camera and to learn what the actual settings are and how to apply them. I have a old CannonPower Shot and it seems to work pretty good for what's being used for here.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by mhonzell »

CopperFinger wrote:I think I see the area in question underneigh the Gun on the arm were it bends. It does look like a small Die Chip to me which would make it a coin struck from a damaged Die.
Thanks for pointing that out... I agree... possible die chip, but with the photo, still unsure.

I'm reposting a piece of your photo just to be sure I'm looking at the right spot.
Attachments
1462196141306.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Mr. Freeze
Coining Around

#18 Unread post by Mr. Freeze »

Sorry about the vague description i was being rushed off of my phone per preflight requirements, but yes it is a small "bubble" if you will under the elbow. Thank you all for the speedy responses, again i apologize for any disrespect i may have caused.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Daniel »

It's a small die chip.

curtiss.payne
Coining Around

#20 Unread post by curtiss.payne »

I was wondering if this was a error coin or what you think.
I'm not sure if this is an error coin but it looks like George Washington has been bitten by a vampire
I'm not sure if this is an error coin but it looks like George Washington has been bitten by a vampire

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Unread post by Daniel »

This is a contact mark from the edge reeding of another coin, it contacted the coin at an angle.

Paul

#22 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:39 pm This is a contact mark from the edge reeding of another coin, it contacted the coin at an angle.
:agree:
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

curtiss.payne
Coining Around

#23 Unread post by curtiss.payne »

Ok... Thanks for the quick reply.