2003 d lincoln cent error?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Tishf
Coining Around

2003 d lincoln cent error?

#1 Unread post by Tishf »

I am curious about a coin I found while I was at my job serving I found a 2003 d penny but the interesting part and the reason I added it to my collection is you can see another ful outline of Lincoln's face the nose lips chin everything I have shown it to several ppl who have seen it and I can make out the small details with my loupe so I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this or seen one themselves.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2003 d lincoln cent error?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum but we need an image of your coin before giving advice. Thanks

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by mhonzell »

Welcome!
Would love to see it!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Tishf
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Tishf »

Ok I have taken several pictures the coin is discolored but I am very curious about others opinions I noticed it to me It seems like a shadow next to his face. I notice it mainly around the nose and down to below the chin. When I brought it to a coin dealer he looked at it and started searching his cherry pickers guide but didn't have the 6th edition with him. So any help and opinions would be appreciated
Attachments
1105152330.jpg
1105152337.jpg
1105152336.jpg
1105152334a.jpg
1105152333.jpg
1105152332.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I see toning edges and what looks to be an angular and shallow gouge and some corrosion in front of Lincoln's bust, but I don't see another outline. Understanding the minting process the multiple strike would not look like this, so it looks like damage that's confusing based on the mottled toning.

I have no idea why a dealer would look in his Cherry Pickers guide, that's for varieties and not mint errors.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#6 Unread post by Paul »

keep in mind that a surface buildup of crud/goop/glop....so on, many times can/will be a big 'fooler', when you "see something" out of the 'normal'.

:eureka:
try looking at the coin under magnification, at a slight angle, with a 'single light source'AWAY from you.

:agree: d, if your "dealer" took out a 'cherrypickers guide', it was only in attempts to impress you.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

cwb
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by cwb »

Sounds like it could be mechanical doubling. Sometimes when a coin is ejected, the metal on the devices will get slid or pushed in one direction and make a flat shelf like secondary image.

Knowdriven
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Knowdriven »

I have the same one

HalaNasr
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by HalaNasr »

I have this one and I’m not really sure do I send it to be graded or not . Please help 🙏
Attachments
98539AE3-A103-472C-B13F-D8B65BB04EEB.jpeg
A02BB29D-19E6-4B7E-A25D-797DA931AB95.jpeg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Why would you send this off for grading? This coin is corroded and circulated.

Paul

#11 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:42 pm Why would you send this off for grading? This coin is corroded and circulated.
:agree:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep