Are You 'LOOKING' at Your Coins ??

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Are You 'LOOKING' at Your Coins ??

#1 Unread post by Paul »

just because the coin is in the 'p mintmark' spot in the album.....
it does not mean that it's a 'p mintmark'

EVEN WITH THE 'RIM DING', & WORN CONDITION....THESE ARE A "HIGH VALUE" COIN! :trophy:

:eureka:
you must expand pics & look close here
Attachments
FS-50-1892o-501.JPG
Z 1892O BHD sm o MM7.jpg
Z 1892O BHD sm o MM5.jpg
A CU5.JPG
1892O BHD sm o MM16.jpg
1892O BHD sm o MM8.jpg
1892O BHD sm o MM6.jpg
1892 O BHD 501_3.jpg
1892 O BHD 501.jpg
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Paul

Re: Are You 'LOOKING' at Your Coins ??

#2 Unread post by Paul »

hugeeyes
Attachments
1892 sm o CU.JPG
1892 O MICRO O SLB - Copy.jpg
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Very good post. Would a grading company attribute this coin as such based on how worn it is though?

Paul

#4 Unread post by Paul »

that....is a very good question here.
if i see it, & you see it, do we need to ask someone else if they see it also?
& pay them a fee to agree?
which makes this just another 'slabbing issue'.
most of you know my thoughts on "encapsulating coins", & why, when, what for,.....
but i will state it for those new here.

there are only 4 reasons to pay money to have a coin "sealed in a plastic container":
1. authenticity
2. preservation
3. proof designation
4. variety attribution (if the recognize that exact variety)
but,...that's just me. i do understand the current 'mind-set' of the 'modern day' numismatic purchasers, but that comes from the huge marketing campaigns put on by these 'grading companies'.....& is just what it has evolved into these days.

i'm, right now, working with ANACS on a few issues i have with them. i decided to submit 7 coins to them, as they recognize pretty much every 'listed', or "cataloged" variety out there. i really do not "sell" any of my coins, but have some i wanted to turn around to raise $$ for encapsulating some coins i just needed to get 'sealed up'. i did make a post here after they were returned, on how "bungled up" (numismatic term) the whole order was. honestly, silly stupid! i would have never expected that....as i have scoped a ton of their coins before.....& from personal experience, for a 'company' you do 'not have to become a member' to submit coins...i decided to try them for the first time. of course, i always add an "image cd" showing all the DM's1 for the diestate, but i know the people in shipping/receiving that are doing the attribution2 on orders such as mine, & they never take the time to actually look at it.
all coins are 100% full attribute for stage.

...the '54 S WQ is a S/S RPM in LDS, with easy to see chip, & scratch DM's
...the "corroded" '58 FE SLS1 is not corroded, but has a deeper heavy grime, no porosity, or corrosion
...the '64 2CP has a corrosion dot on it (i did not expect this one to 'grade' at all, & is a EDS "pre-banner chip"3)
...notice the '51 LgC. labeled a N-18....which is for the 1847. 100% FS-302 !!
...THE 1858/7 FE AU50 labeled "cleaned"...NOT! this was a NGC 'crack-out' no attribute slab i picked. awesome MINTSTATE LDS coin.

1. DIE MARKERS
2. YES, THEY ACTUALLY TELL YOU THEY DO,...IF YOU ASK THEM
3. NOT ATTRIBUTED, BECAUSE IT DOES NOT 'LOOK' LIKE THE IMAGE IN THE BOOK SITTING IN THEIR LAP (A DIFFERENT, EARLIER, DIESTATE)
Attachments
DCP_0365.JPG
RETURN PS ANACS -732.JPG
Last edited by Paul on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

YES, i will submit some of1 my future coins to ANACS....i like their 'new', or newer style slab....with the 'curved' top....because i store all my 'slabbed' coins in the hard shell slotted plastic "storage boxes"....& searching for a specific coin is real easy with this feature. i'm not a fan of the heavy, thick, easy to scuff2 coin viewing window...but i know it's ONLY A SEALED PLASTIC CASE....& THEY CAN PUT ANYTHING THEY WANT ON THE SLIP OF PAPER INSIDE3. I DON'T CARE, BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT THE 'LUMP OF METAL' INSIDE IS.

1. DEPENDING ON IF I WANT THAT EXACT COIN WITH AN 'ATTRIBUTION ON THE LABEL' (FOR EXAMPLE, A RARE TRIPLE DIE THAT DOES NOT HAVE A 'LARGE SPREAD', THAT MIGHT/WILL BE HARD FOR MOST TO SEE)
2. THE VIEWING WINDOW 'HIGH POINT' IS THE SAME HEIGHT AS THE SIDES....SO IT COMES IN CONTACT WITH ADJACENT SURFACES WHEN 'STACKED', OR 'SET ON A FLAT SURFACE'.
3. FOUND ON THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON BY MICHAEL JACKSON
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by dipper13 »

That is not exactly a ringing endorsement of ANACS. They miss much, but I see they are maintaining their image by claiming details grades, mostly "cleaned" on perfectly good coins. You wonder what they are looking at OR SEEING?????

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

d,
the 'top 3' are all basically the same1...i've had the privilege of 'slab in hand' for all three of these 'companies', at least 3, 4, 500 times each.....only because i do ALOT of imaging for some "volume sellers", doing the 'full coin' pics with my setup. they all vary in grading slightly. each company has their own "niche", if you will, where they are better in one area than others. of course the 'graders' within these companies will vary in experience also.

1. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS IN PEOPLES "PERCEPTION". THE SAME COIN, I MEAN THE 'SAME EXACT COIN', "GRADED" EXACTLY THE SAME, USING THE EXACT SAME FULL COIN ONLY IMAGES, BUT IN THE DIFFERING COMPANIES 'SLABS', SELLS FOR A DIFFERENT PRICE BECAUSE OF WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TAUGHT THEMSELVES.

this 'false perception' is clearly evident just by watching the on-line auction sales. i see coins (same type-date-mm) with heavier wear, more contact marks, & a crummier color,... even "graded" 1 or 2 tics lower, sell for a greater amount, than a much nicer similar coin, in a 'xyz' slab .... ONLY because of the 'brand' of "slab" they are in.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

found my info...
hugeeyes
Attachments
FA.jpg
LC GUIDE.JPG