1882-O Morgan VAM?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

1882-O Morgan VAM?

#1 Unread post by RobinMitchell »

Ok, I'm determined to find something awesome in this collection. Here's what I have today:

O/O tilted left? Possible doubling of 88 (probably just my bad eyes)? Closed 2 (looks a little smashed on the end but it looks like it connects)?

Nice condition too! Did I do good? :confused:
1882-O obv.jpg
1882-O rev.jpg
1882-O O.jpg
1882-O date.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1882-O Morgan VAM?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

posssible sump'n sump'n on the mm.... :dunno
have you researched the vam lists?
date.....mpd? :dunno
Attachments
1882 MD MPD.JPG
1882 MD MPD.JPG (20.96 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by RobinMitchell »

Yes, but there are so many to look at. VAM 7 has the exact same O/O as mine, and the more I look at my coin, the more I wonder if the 2 is actually open and just hard to see. The gap on a VAM7 is really narrow. My 8s also look doubled to me, which is also included in this VAM. My dad had this one listed as mint condition, but he was as inexperienced as I am. Is this one worth sending off? VAM7 is a Top 100, so I'm almost certain my coin is probably something else. Ha ha.

But what if.........

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

It could be a VAM-7 but it's circulated and this brings the value down. Hot 100 just means it highly sought after and popular but does not mean it has a huge value difference over non-hot 100 VAMs. I don't think it would be worth the trouble to submit since it might not look like the "book' images and the fees would be greater than the coins value, or near to it.

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote:It could be a VAM-7 but it's circulated and this brings the value down. Hot 100 just means it highly sought after and popular but does not mean it has a huge value difference over non-hot 100 VAMs. I don't think it would be worth the trouble to submit since it might not look like the "book' images and the fees would be greater than the coins value, or near to it.
:agree: d here.
if you are going to 'sell these off', say on :ebay: ,... if you provide a 'good, clear, properly illuminated, decent size image', the "collectors",....the people that buy these,.....will/should be able to ID them.

:eureka:
here is an example of a coin i have for sale:
COIN SALE LINK
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by RobinMitchell »

Nice! Thank you for sharing! :)

Christian651
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Christian651 »

This is the vam 7 it appears to be a AU coin from the pics so i wouldnt send it off if you look around on ebay you can find these in ngc or pcgs holders that were not atributed for around $60-$90 in MS 62 63 just have to look at the o in the pics the vam 7 is a Top 100 but is very common
http://www.vamworld.com/1882-O+VAM-7

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by mhonzell »

RobinMitchell,

Just a suggestion...
You appear to be using some type of scope to photograph your coins. If you look through the settings, you may find something called "White Balance". Try putting a light grey (preferred) or white (alternate) piece of paper under the scope and setting the white balance so that the paper looks white.

If your scope doesn't have this feature, then a photo program (free), like PhotoScape, or even the photo editor in Windows, will have a form of auto-correct.

Either one will help remove the yellow tinge caused by the "soft-white" light bulbs in your room.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by RobinMitchell »

Yay! That's so awesome! In addition to being coin-challenged, I'm also camera-challenged. I still have 110 cameras in a box somewhere! I have used Picture Manager's autocorrect feature, but the coins that were really silver in color turned out to be a dull grey, and it also removed some of the detail. Then I also saw the FB rule about editing photos being a no-no, so I figured I'd leave them yellow until I could figure it out! Thank you so much! I did find a white balance setting, so I changed it and updated the pics. Better (except for the cellophane glare)? :)
Morgan1882-O 002.jpg
Morgan1882-O 003.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by mhonzell »

Much better! :thumbsup:

Those coin holders are only a couple dollars for 50 of them. If you pick some up, then you can feel okay about taking the coins out for photos and putting them back in new holders.

Be careful with the stapler.

And, if you're coins are really shiny, then there are some other techniques to use.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

RobinMitchell
Coin Collector

#11 Unread post by RobinMitchell »

Thanks! I thought about that, but I wasn't sure if collectors would rather have them in the original flips so they know they haven't been touched or ruined by this amateur (even though I always wear gloves and I'm very careful). My grandfather collected all of these coins, so it's been at least 20 years since any of the flips were new. I'll look into getting some more if you think buyers would rather have them in new ones. Thanks again! :)