Dime on Cent 'Dual Denomination' Strikes

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Dime on Cent 'Dual Denomination' Strikes

#1 Unread post by Paul »

these are VERY RARE coins..
A.K.A. "off metal"....
this happens when a already struck coin, gets 'hit' again, or run through the press again with a different denomination installed.
there are alot of different ideas on how this occurs....but if we think about the 'minting process', an already struck coin, must somehow make it back into the press AFTER a die change.
i see only 2 options here:
1. either an employee tossed a minted cent back in line before the press, or....
2. the already struck cent was somehow 'brambling around' inside the press, & never made it out the exit conveyor...& was 're-hit' with the dine die.... :dunno

i can not hugeeyes it from these images...but i would think that:
1. if the coin was tossed back in line on purpose during the dime run to 'make' on of these, the 'dime detail' would not be a razor sharp EDS detail...
2. if the coin was temporarly held up in the press, most likely it would 'clear' the press soon after it was started again, leaving EDS crips detail...

:eureka:
ANYWHOO...
this post is to show you that the 'details on the coin', from the 'dime over-strike', are the proper direction, (the lettering you see), & NOT the 'mirror image', that occurs when a coin is placed up-side-down over the top of the coin, & squeezed together (leaving that image 'backwords' when you read it). see the final image here
Attachments
D ON C CUP.JPG
3.jpg
2.jpg
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Dime on Cent 'Dual Denomination' Strikes

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

P, Are these photos of one you found?

Paul

#3 Unread post by Paul »

no.....unfortunatly....i wish
:w still looking though :w

as i see alot of people ask questions about these,.....where the coins thay have, are just 1 coin 'mashed into' anotherA, i wanted to show what a 'real one' looked like

A. WHERE THE "LETTERING DETAILS" ON THE SUBJECT COIN WILL READ "MIRROR BACKWARDS"
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Was hoping it was one of yours! :thumbsup: Thank you for the info. It really does help us to visualize an actual error from a "mashed" mirror image.
Is it true the different mints send coins out in rolls and bags or just bags that are then divided up into rolls by banks? (I guess some of the really odd shaped error coins wouldn't fit in a roll and would only be found in the bags.)

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

batches are shipped out in a MSB1 from the mint,...than 'rolled' by a bank, or by a 'third party' for those banks. i think "N. F. String" was a company that 'rolled' coins ?? :dunno

i'm not much of a 'rolled' guy now, as almost all so called OBW2 rolls are "hooey-n-bunko"3

this coin might have made it 'into a roll',...as it's the same size (diameter) of a penny, just over-struk with a different denomination die....which is interesting here, unless i'm missing something :confused: , as a cent planchet is bigger than a dime collar :dunno :dunno

1.MINT SEWEN BAGS
2. ORIGINAL BANK WRAPPED
3. NUMISMATIC TERM FOR :s
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Is there any way the dime could have been struck first (it doesn't appear to be copper). This would have left Roosevelts profile a higher relief and then when dropped into the cent collar and struck by the Lincoln die only the higher relief areas would have Lincoln cent details? :dunno :confused:

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

that's a good question..... :confused:

how to determine 'the order' of which denomination, was first & second strike....

for this one,... it was cent, then dime....here's why:
see the 'center details' on the obverse?...of lincoln?
since we know the 'device detail'1 of the die, is 'engraved into', or 'concave',...when the 'second hit' on the coin happens, the area 'inside' the 'bust device', where it's 'recessed' into the die, will not 'impart any details' of THAT device for THAT denomination.....if that makes any sense whistling2:

1. A DEVICE IS THE 'CUT AWAY PART' (ENGRAVED) OF THE DIE THAT LEAVES THE 'LETTERING', OR 'PICTURE', THE "DEVICE", WHEN STRUCK
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

The most logical way these could happen is the already struck cent was left in a coin bin and forgotten. Somehow this cent made it back into the blank planchets intended for dimes and was then struck with the dime dies.

I agree with Paul that this could have happened on purpose, I am sure some are not, but hard to believe an already struck cent could make into the dime stock before or after the annealing process.

I don't think it would be an already struck cent lodge in the coining chamber because the dime get's reeding and the collar dies would need replaced or adjusted. Since that's the case then no way would they accidentally overlook a cent unless a mint employee did this on purpose.

Speaking of the collar die, I wonder if these have remnants or partial reeding? The cent is larger than a dime in diameter so the collar die must have struck the edge of the coin.