1967 memorial penny

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
cowboy001
Coin Collector

1967 memorial penny

#1 Unread post by cowboy001 »

Hi there I would like to thank you for all your help identifying my little collection of coins, I was going through some of those coins testing my new scope and I noticed something I didn't noticed before in a 1967 memorial penny at first I thought it was a small doubling on Lincoln's lip but with the new scope I noticed that the doubling extents to the lower front and back side of the vest as well as the neck and part of the nose, can you please share some information to identify this coin and the reason it appears in this condition, thank you.
Attachments
new pics 049.png
new pics 050.jpg
new pics 058.png
new pics 068.png
new pics 065.png

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1967 memorial penny

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

It looks flat and "shelf" like in these images and that indicates strike doubling, so look at the coin at different angles to see if it continues to look like metal flow. A DDO would look double and not a spread out metal and flat looking.

cowboy001
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by cowboy001 »

Thank you Daniel I will try to get some more images from different angles as stated in your reply to the posting!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

i need 'FULL COIN' image.....
but from the view i see....the 'beard detail' under the jaw on the neck, to 'guess die state'....& from these pics....i'll, for now, go with d on 'metal flow'?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

cowboy001
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by cowboy001 »

Thank you very much I will post a few pics of the whole coin soon!

cowboy001
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by cowboy001 »

I took some pictures from different angles I hope they help, note the die marks?? in between the columns at both sides of the memorial, thank you for your help again!!
Attachments
1967 003.jpg
1967 009.jpg
1967 022.png
1967 042.png
1967 039.png

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I think the reverse has clash marks but the obverse is not a doubled die. Thanks for posting more images, it helps a lot.

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

i agree with d here

solid reverse un-polished clash mark(s) visible 'inside' the memorial columns.....with some light die polishing lines you can see in the 'fields' around the building :thumbsup:

i don't see any 'die doubling' on the obverse.....

:eureka:
you will see, the more & more you look at these lincolns, in different 'die states', that the 'lettering devices', as the die gets more 'worn down' from this repetitive striking, can, & often do get a 'fatty' appearance...& look slightly 'thicker' than normal....as the die wears down from the metal rushing past this edge area over & over. the areas from 'device to field' (the 'design edge' where it meets the 'flat' areas called 'fields'), on the big design elements, like the 'bust', can often show some "metal creep", or a.k.a. 'flow', as it is called. this happens when the liquid metal1, 'squeezes' out from the depression in the die where the design was engraved. think of a big ball of mushy dough. now take a saucer (plate), center it over the top of the dough ball, & push down. see how the 'excess' dough here, squeezes out around the edges?

1. WHEN COINS ARE STRUCK UNDER THIS VERY HIGH PRESSURE, THE UPPERMOST OUTER FEW MICRONS BECOME 'LIQUID' FOR AN INSTANT, & THE METAL RUNS INTO & FILLS THE VOIDS WHERE THE DESIGN WAS ENGRAVED INTO THE DIE
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

cowboy001
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by cowboy001 »

Thank you very much for the help, the technical aspect of the process is very interesting and that is what I find priceless to know there is a team of experts willing to share your expertise with people like me new to the coin collecting hobby, I appreciate the time and effort!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

This was a monumental effort but a member of this forum created this and I edited and revised it a bit, but this might help even more http://coinauctionshelp.com/mintingproc ... ory.html#.

Paul

#11 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote:This was a monumental effort but a member of this forum created this and I edited and revised it a bit, but this might help even more http://coinauctionshelp.com/mintingproc ... ory.html#.

d,
i've seen that page before. :thumbsup: :trophy: :thumbsup:
fantastic! whomever did all that work.....wow

i have a new one for your 'mintmark list'....the "Blundered MPM"...or blundered, (as it is way, way out of position), mis-placed mintmark. i found :w a '58 WQ years ago with one of these. i sent it in (to the wrong guy i guess), & it came back "inconsequential"....huh!?? :dunno hmmmmmmmm? :dunno (head scratch, clear throat, shift in seat)

but,....as i keep up on ALL the "new info" the 'movers-n-shakers' (if you will) put out....when i got the 'latest edition' of the CPG (cherrypickers guide), & decided to have a 'look-see' at all the varieties they decided to 'de-list', as well as memorize the biggie "high value"...'newly listed' varieties....what did i find???

POOF!.....the FS-25-1957D-501 .....IMAGINE THAT! mine WAS NOT the '57D, or in the same "EXACT" location....but c'mon people! :s :dunno
....don't really know what to say? but i don't care about the 'glory' of the :w recognition.

anyhooz,
i have a '42D WQ with a 'BMPM'
it's a VLDS coin, so it's very weak at this state...& there is a 'itty bitty' chip off the lower right, but it is 100% a "D". it even 'measures out' to the EXACT SIZE of a 'D' mm!

KINDA :cool: I THINK!
Attachments
BEST BMPM.jpg
1942 D_5.jpg
1942 D_6.jpg
CPG.JPG
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

cowboy001
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by cowboy001 »

thank you for the link this is the most descriptive information about the minting process ever seen!!