Grade this Nickel!!

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Grade this Nickel!!

#1 Unread post by dipper13 »

Here is a coin I had put away because I could not believe the grade it received. Please tell me your opinion on the grade. It is from ANACS. Your opiion cannot be any worse than theirs!
Attachments
DSCF0516.JPG
DSCF0515.JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Grade this Nickel!!

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Hmmm.... my disclaimers first...
It's a blurry photo.
It's in a slab with scuff marks.
I don't collect these.

Okay, I started with MS65 based on "luster".
The area under the chin was questionable, but may be the plastic showing a scuffed area.
The reverse has a weakly struck building and some kind of spot above right.
Few more scuffs.

I'll go with MS63.

Did I win the coin?
lol:
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by dipper13 »

Not exactly! I will post better pix. The reverse on this is strong, next to the stuff from the later 50s and early 60s. They let the reverse dies rot away before they replaced them. This coin is unmarked. I hope my pictures show it.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by dipper13 »

here are more pix. excuse the lights, I needed them to show how clean the fields are.
there is one mark in Jeffersons hair.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by 2centsal »

MS65 ? Only because the reverse is more worn on the Steps . Aren't the steps supposed to be detailed like the newer ones where you should be able to count the steps ? On yours, the steps look worn but the " Eye Appeal ", especially on the Obverse is real NICE !

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I am going with MS64.

cableman
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by cableman »

The strength on the steps will only give the FS addition as the steps almost always are not full on these.The strike is average or a little below as you can see the die wear on the strike.I would say 64 at best.Probable 63.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

I am just seeing enough marks on this coin that gives me the same opinion grade of MS64.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by dipper13 »

This nickel graded ms65, I sent a dozen, a dealer said they were 66s. I got 2 66, 4 64 and this one was also a 65, like the rest. If you looked at them in hand,this was really the best. The pix I took did not do justice to the coin. I am sending this one to Sal, he was right on. I did not tell anyone that this was a contest. It made me kind of sad that you guys did not see how good the coin was. When Sal gets it, he will tell you. It is my fault for being a lousy photographer!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Congrats Sal! You got me but thanks for that.