CAC Stickers

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

CAC Stickers

#1 Unread post by 2centsal »

:confused: I don't know if this question has been asked nor did I try to look it up. I figured people like me, not up to par on the grading labels including security and changes of the labels over the years might be curious to these CAC stickers on some graded coins . What does this mean ? Is it a ploy to make a Coin worth more ? If it's graded already, why does it need a special sticker by what seems like another grader ? :dunno

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: CAC Stickers

#2 Unread post by dipper13 »

Sal, this is someone's opinion that the coin is good or superior for the grade.??? It really is just another chance to soak up a collector's $. They only will sticker NGC and PCGS graded coins and that makes them part of the wonderful "good old boy" network. I cannot believe that any dealer or collector holds them up as the final word on a coin, but they do. Go figure!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah, it's a company that confirms and verifies an NGC or PCGS graded coin's grade. If the powers that be don't agree then they don't place a sticker on the coin so we never know which CAC rejects.

CAC sticker holders do sell for more cash and it has been catching on for the last few years.

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by 2centsal »

:agree: I think that's baloney ! That's why I haven't graded any of my Coins yet . The way I look at it, a Coin has to be worth at least $100 for it to be worth the Money . It seems that it's only worth it if you have enough Coins to Grade and they have to be in at least AU or better or Rare to be worth it . That explains why a lot of the time graded Coins sell for more than " Raw " ones . Then there's price differences for Error Coins, World Coins or Coins that need to be Attributed as Authentic . Not to mention that some Companies charge a yearly Fee to join as a Member which I feel is baloney also . :swear

Scubaredneck
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by Scubaredneck »

Here's CoinWeek's take on it.

http://www.coinweek.com/coin-grading/wh ... -value-to/

:dunno
The Scubaredneck

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#6 Unread post by Paul »

let me state that the 'posts' i make are only "JUST MY OPINION". i am not pointing fingers, making accusations, placing blame,...so on. this is just something to 'think about'.

here is a coin i bought, & still own. i received it 4 days after i bought & paid for it. look closely at the pictures.

are the 'new' CAC stickers a gold color?
were the 'green' stickers sold in rolls to those who would buy them for a fee?
does CAC send the 'stickers' separate, not affixed to the slab, & let you put it on?

C-O-I-N collectors, at some point in time, start collecting C-O-I-N-S.....the 'lump of metal' inside the plastic case......unfortunately 95% of buyers today are 'slab collectors'......do you realize that they can put anything they want on a 'label'.
Attachments
CAC SLAB.JPG
CH NGC MS62 1858LL FE JUNK.JPG
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by mhonzell »

IMHO, these stickers do nothing other than eat your money.

Let me give an example...
I chose a coin (a nice one) at random from eBay bearing both a CAC sticker and an Eagle Eye Photo Seal sticker: a 1979 Indian Head Cent, Proof 65 Red-Brown.

by Price Guides:

Note: These two price guides are based on those that report their sale. If you sold it for less, are you going to report it and destroy your coins future potential?

NGC lists this coin as worth $600. (Hasn't changed since Oct 2012.)
PCGS lists similar coins as worth $700.

Note: These base their prices on the sell of slabbed coins.
Numismedia lists the coin as worth $640.
Coin World lists the coin as worth $500.

What's up with Coin World?
What most dealers forget... supply and demand. Nobody is looking for one of these. These price guides look at time frames and average the sales during those periods. Depending on what groups of sales they are looking at, the prices can be significantly different.

So, what is this seller asking?
$660, or best offer. How many times has it be relisted? Basically, even with both stickers affixed, there is no premium added for the CAC or Eagle Eye stickers. He'd do better to send it in to PCGS and have them re-holder it. Then, he might get the asking price above. Those who purchased the CAC and Eagle Eye verifications lost their money.

This is not the case with every coin bearing a sticker. Some do get a premium. Maybe because it's a better coin, or maybe it's just supply and demand.
Attachments
1879R.jpg
1879F.jpg
1879s.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

m,
i've asked a few sellers 'why' they had the eagle eye seal....
if they were in doubt of a variety, they sent it to rick. i guess he stickers the coins you pay him to look at....

i actually like them....if there is no 's-?' sticker on the left side of the slab, i know it's not a var, & know not to waste time looking to pick it.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by mhonzell »

I like Rick's stickers as well, but the variety charges the premium, not the sticker. I was just showing that this one paid for both and got nothing in return.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#10 Unread post by Paul »

m,
i had an :eureka: ,
for $18 + shipping, you can send me your 'slabbed' coin, & i will put a:
MY coin is BETTER THAN YOUR COIN sticker on it!
now....you can charge a whole bunch more for it!!
:l :trophy:
Attachments
CH STICKER.jpg
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Granky
Coin Collector

#11 Unread post by Granky »

[size=15OH PAUL!!! HOW I'VE MISSED YOUR VERY SUBTLE SENSE OF HUMOR!! I'M IN CALIFORNIA NOW AND JUST MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET BACK TO THE BUSINESS OF COINS IN, OH, SAY, COUPLE OF YEARS AT MOST!!! (HOPE I'M KIDDING!)

GRANKSTER0][/size]