ACCA Coin Grading Service Computer Grading

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

ACCA Coin Grading Service Computer Grading

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

I might have posted this before but it's been a while. Also I would like to know if anyone else has any more info on this TPG http://coinauctionshelp.com/Coin_Help_B ... n-grading/
Attachments
ACCA_withfatman.jpg

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: ACCA Coin Grading Service Computer Grading

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I wonder why it has taken so long for some one to use computers to grade coins. I would think there will need to be a mix of computer/human grading to accurately capture some of the more subtle nuances in coin "beauty and value" that people perceive can only be hugeeyes "seen" by humans. After all the true value is not necessarily what is printed but what appeals to the collector/buyer eye!

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by mhonzell »

Eye appeal is still in the eye of the beholder.

A standardized set of rules means a grade may be based on whether a coin has 65 "nicks" or 66 "nicks". "Beauty" of tone is not held by all. "Old cleaning" or "Lightly cleaned" and retoned will simply be ignored or everything will be "Cleaned." So, combined, an existing grade may drop and that leads to a lack of public support.

Coin grading is subjective, the rules are very loose, and the customers count on that aspect, a lot. Many coins currently graded will fall into the realm of "cleaned", "corroded" or "damaged" if the program is accurate. As a result, I think it unlikely to succeed in the computerized realm, even though it may be more consistent and accurate.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Actually, programs are advanced enough now that they can learn or be taught which coins have the best eye appeal since it's going to be based on light reflection and refraction, colors scales and such that's known to be most pleasing to the human eye.

Plus, people overrate eye appeal in grading, the grading companies looks more at wear, contact marks, distracting marks, and eds, mds, and lds. I have seen plenty of ugly coins get a gem grade when they were not as nice as an MS64.

It would downgrade some of these bulk dealer condition grade rarities and stop the market grading for certain. I would finally obtain the next valuable grade as will many other small time submitters who tend to know how to grade. It would slowly begin to erode their precious value guides of coins in their holders because the TPGs would not be able to control the pops.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

It would also cost them money as well since resubmitting to "buy" a higher grade would cease.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Daniel, I agree. Mark makes some good points also. But.....
There is a lot of comment on CH and elsewhere about the ambiguity and inconsistency of the current grading companies decisions. Dealers/ sellers like the companies that grade higher (for resale). Some coin sellers ("salespeople") rely on the human element of grading to keep the buying public insecure and in the dark about how to properly grade and therefore value coins. Consistent grading should be the norm. We have all griped about liking this or not liking that grading service for many different reasons, probably all valid.
Anything that can be done to give confidence to the collector that the coin they are considering is accurately graded (and valued) is a good thing. The collector still needs to be able to make an informed decision. Like everything else humans are involved in there will still be those individuals that will put more energy into deception because of greed or boredom.
Humans still need to make the final yea or nay decision over the computers for many reasons (can you say "We've been hacked" everyone).
I imagine there was a lot of similar doubt, resistance and conversation when grading companies first came on the scene. Why did ANACS first start encapsulating and grading? To eliminate grading irregularities? For the benefit of collecting?
(I think it is time to change my name to Pete-Rambles-On widegrin :w happydance:)
Just my 13-1/2 cents worth.