NGC labels & determining Rank of coin in overall population.

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

NGC labels & determining Rank of coin in overall population.

#1 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Just recently started acquiring slabbed wheats with NGC labels and I understand there is a way to determine what rank a coin is from the label but I have not figured out how it is done.
As an example:
1948D 1c MS 66RD Coin ID # (from label)- 3788544-051
Does the -051 mean it is 51rst from the top or bottom or neither for this coin in this grade from NGC?
Thanks for any input and assistance!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NGC labels & determining Rank of coin in overall populat

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

No way to tell the population using the numbers on the label, if that's what your asking. Here's NGC's write up about their labels http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle ... icleID=341
Attachments
pc_label_number.gif
pc_label_number.gif (2.82 KiB) Viewed 4904 times

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

I AM EXTREMELY INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT HOW/WHERE/WHO YOU GOT THAT INFORMATION FROM PETESPOCKETS55....IF I MAY ASK? whistling2:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

ALL CAPS AND EXTREMELY INTERESTED. Careful there you're making me nervous. Why so enthusiastically interested?
Well...... I don't recall getting it from any one individual person, article or conversation. Just an impression or misunderstanding from looking at details about auction listings. People have described their coin with gusto and enthusiasm as there being only "three nicer" or "the Top Pop". I thought there must be a way for these people to know this and thought it was conveyed some how through the label. A "secret code", so to speak, that one could use to determine if their coin was the nicest/best/baddest/most valuable one in that grade. And looking at the NGC labels, many of the coins have a (-) followed by three numbers. I thought there might be a numerical ranking going on for, those in the know, for the top 999 coins in each grade.
The following is the meat of an article appearing in an NGC publication in 2002 (as mentioned by Daniel above):
"Also appearing on each NGC grading label is that particular coin’s identification number. This consists of six (or more recently, seven) digits followed by a dash and three more digits. The first sequence of numbers is taken from the pre-printed invoice number under which the coins were submitted. (These numbers are entirely random and are not applied sequentially. Therefore, they cannot be used to determine when a coin was graded.) The numbers following the dash may range from 001 to 099 and simply identify the line on which a particular coin was entered under that invoice number. For example, if you submit three coins under invoice number 1234567, the coin on line 3 will be labeled by NGC as 1234567-003."

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Whew! Thanks for redirecting my misinformation! , Petespockets55

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I am just glad to be of help, and glad you posted this since most people wouldn't know this about the numbers on the label. Now they have an answer.

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

sorry about the caps, one hand now, vision unlike when i was 22.
just curious...that's all.
the marketing of 'slabbed & graded' coins has EVOLVED into such a gimmick.......just curious where/ or if whom.....clear now.

You will see 'top pop', or 'of only x #' in listings that will tell you that that coin is the 'finest', or one of, the highest 'graded' for that specific so-n-so.
I have quite a few 'top pop'/'finest known' coins (because it's in a numbered cert. slab), that are 100% fully attributed die varieties that do not have the 'labels' inside, with the designation lettering on them. For me, I don't need to 'pay for a label'. Be wary here....I see a few now & again that are 'Hooey-n-Bunko', the proper numismatic term. You need to look up that EXACT ONE in a listing that shows the current 'top grade' they currently have on file.
Hope that clears it up??
Last edited by Paul on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Yeah, all caps is like screaming in a crowded room, maybe all lower case would be much better.

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

sorry
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

No need for that, you already explained yourself, you're good. Most members just don't know you like I do.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Thanks for the insight on ranking. Now to see if I can digest it. (I would not have a clue about caps except I made the "mistake" with my son. Thought I was making it easier to read. LOL And he still can't believe my primary email is AOL. I get a chuckle each time he is in amusement about it!) Apologies for the delayed response but this old coot is still trying to figure this technologically humiliating stuff out. By the way, gotta love your numismatic term - "Hooey-n- Bunko".

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

All caps is considered yelling online. I don't care myself and think people make to much to do with it, as long as it's not all the time.