How many coin grading services can there be? Too many!

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

How many coin grading services can there be? Too many!

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

I just wanted to post a link to the third party coin graidng service page. It has near near 140 TPGS images and info.
http://coinauctionshelp.com/page16.html

rjp
Coinasieur

Re: How many coin grading services can there be? Too many!

#2 Unread post by rjp »

This is the thread I have been look for all of my life! Not really Just copied a line out of the movie "The Matrix"
But I have some unlisted slabs that I will post here for you.
Attachments
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
Bob
:cool:

rjp
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by rjp »

I got the picture in reverse order but atleast they are in there. :dunno
U.S. Rare Coin Certification & Trading Co., Inc.
I like how they used "U 62" Not sure when the MS grades were started but ANACS in 1976 used MS grades on the photo certs. I can remember using the Unc, BU and Gem Unc grades,
Picture is not very good but it is there, It really is a scan.
Also I will have to start naming the files
I'll Post more as time premints.
Hope this is in the right Thread, seems right and feels right to be here. :h
Bob

Busy

:ebay:
Bob

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Thanks for posting the image. You have the correct forum and so glad you're interested :thumbsup:

I have a parcial article written on the subject of who used the alpha-numeric system first. I posted an excerpt from this article, and it might have some errors, but I am still conducting research when I get the time.

"In 1958, Martin R. Brown and John W. Dunn published A Guide to the Grading of United States Coins, illustrated with sketches. (Source: Professional Coin Grading Service Coin Guide by Q. David Bowers.) It was the first of its kind to use illustrations of coins to aide in grading.

The author could only find one source for the first publication to use the Sheldon Numerical Scale to describe coins other than Large Cents. According to Numismaster.com in an article entitled, History of coin grading: It's all in the numbers By Alan Herbert for Coins Magazine December 31, 2006, John Queen sent them a letter stating,

"I had been asked to come and help in the auction department. Paramount was to have the auction for the Numismatic Association of Southern California in February [1969]. Jim had not written a single lot. He set me to the task.

"[Jim Kelly] said, 'John, a fellow by the name of Sheldon [of Penny Whimsey fame] has been experimenting with a numbers grading system. I want the NASC catalog to use it.

"One month later, Jim died. I had the whole responsibility. That catalog was the first ever, using numerical grading. To my knowledge, no coin ads had ever used the system either. It was a first in every way. That is an historic catalog."

The NASC catalogue was popular during it’s time, and it can’t be underestimated the impact this particular catalogue might have had on coin grading in general.

In 1970 Photograde, by James F. Ruddy, was published and became an immediate best seller, with many later editions and printings. It made the use of detailed black andwhite photographs to aide in grading coins. (Source: Professional Coin Grading Service Coin Guide by Q. David Bowers.)

In 1977 the ANA published The “The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins” and this monumental “study” used black and white pictures for each point grade, and assigned an acronym for each numerical grade i.e. G4 stand for Good4, VG8 stands for Very Good 8, etc. This publication was the greatest contribution to coin grading, and this was the standard that all legitimate grading services based their grading standard upon."

rjp
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by rjp »

Since you have read my ANACS article there is this first grader Tom DeLorey that I think he mentioned that he helped write that book in 1977 before ANA could ever start Grading coins. What a Plan that was. Wish people would have taken notes of what happened back then. because we sure don't look like things are very well organized today.
Bob

Side note: Tom DeLorey writes for COINage Mag today and has a article in just babout ever issue.
Bob

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Intersting. It would be nice to post some of his article links here. I didn't know that. Yes, they did have a plan.

rjp
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by rjp »

Don't Know if he will or has ever been here, he is firmily rooted ATS, @ pcgs
You know I quit going to Long Beach coin shows for many different reason, that are some of the reasons I like it here.
At LB you pay for everything and nobody has any time for you, they all got to score that million $ deal, Just like ATS at pcgs and ngc. and they all will pick you apart word by word, and take turns at it. There just seems to be no common sense there, or tooo many posters there. Here I just hijacked this thread and you might say some thing and post but maybe not, and everyone else will read it and say OK, and move on with no post.
I think there are alot of people that read but not post. I do wish more will post.
There I go again. Take Care all that read this and just post something some where.
Bob
Bob

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

I can't agree more. No worry about where or how you post here, that's what the forum is for. I can imagine what Long Beach is about, you hear about how well dealers did, but never how great the collector or that anyone learned from their visit. I mean learned about coins and not on how much they spent.

rjp
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by rjp »

At small shows I can spend no money at one dealer and talk his ear off for a hour, but I don't stop him from doing business with paying customers. But I do spend some at the shows. Long beach is different and hustle and bustle there, any large show is that way.
Bob
Bob

rjp
Coinasieur

#10 Unread post by rjp »

Dan
If I post other TPG slabs that are not listed, can you add them?
I have a few unlisted so far in you list.
Bob
Bob

rjp
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by rjp »

Here a link to the thread I started else where.
All on the out of business slabs.

I also reference your coin help over there.
Bob
Bob

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

rjp wrote:Dan
If I post other TPG slabs that are not listed, can you add them?
I have a few unlisted so far in you list.
Bob
I will add them. It's appreciated. Of course, there's a time factor as I try to make this forum much better. I am having a bit of trouble with a certain update.

rjp
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by rjp »

Thanks widegrin
As long as you get the pictures.
I will not look for a quick update but as you get time, to do it.
Hope you had a chance to look over the link I provided. There was a couple of unlisted ones there.
I am on travel and later I can send you the pictures or what ever you need to list them.
Just let me know.
Thanks, Bob

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

I am looking over the linked article you posted now. Images are most important but any other info is helpful as well. Thanks and have a nice trip.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

I added all the new TPGS that were introduced to me, and now I will have to a count of how many I have listed. I also hope no one had a problem with me using the images, and can let me know via email help@coinactionshelp.com

Also if any one wants credit for images then let me, it will not be a problem for me.

http://coinauctionshelp.com/page16.html

pahwa
Coin Expert

#16 Unread post by pahwa »

Daniel that is a great page! I also wanted to thank you and comment on the new look to the forum page and the link to the website plus much more. Yeah Man!!!! Dude :yourock: . Great job and thanks for your work! Paul
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Daniel »

Thanks! I appreciate that :yourock:

rjp
Coinasieur

#18 Unread post by rjp »

Daniel
I checked out your site and the new addition on U.S. RCCT
I like it, seems like I have seen that somewhere before.
Thanks, Bob
Bob

acan451
Coin Wizz

#19 Unread post by acan451 »

pahwa wrote:Daniel that is a great page! I also wanted to thank you and comment on the new look to the forum page and the link to the website plus much more. Yeah Man!!!! Dude :yourock: . Great job and thanks for your work! Paul
I agree great job Daniel
Alan :winnah:
Take a look what's new in the world of samples slabs
http://samplecoinslabs.com/index.html/2 ... from-pcgs/