1916 Barber Dime - Good enough to send in for grading?

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Blondebear
Coining Around

1916 Barber Dime - Good enough to send in for grading?

#1 Unread post by Blondebear »

Hey everyone! I've got this 1916 Barber dime, and it's in fairly good condition. The pictures do it no justice, but it still has a lot of luster. I see there are some marks on his face on the obverse, so that makes me wonder if it's worth getting graded or not? It is certainly nicer than most I've seen online. Whatcha think? What would you professionals grade it as?
Attachments
PXL_20211005_015533812._exported_66_1633399177637.jpg
PXL_20211005_015358282._exported_0_1633399847385.jpg

JTCC
Coin Guru

Re: 1916 Barber Dime - Good enough to send in for grading?

#2 Unread post by JTCC »

We don’t do much photograde here, but go to a internet browser and search for PCGS price guide and PCGS photograde, they are very helpful, and will give you the answer of your question.
U.S. cent lover!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Sorry but we don't grade using images, needs to be examined in person.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

If you are wanting to sell this, find the costs of submitting, cost of membership, shipping costs and tally them. Find eBay sold items and Heritage auctions to find the same date/MM in grades you suspect it might make using photograde. The you can calculate whether or not it would be worth it to you.

If you are not going to sell it, then the only reason to get it graded is that you like slabs. Slabs are not the safest way to store coins. They are not airtight.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Blondebear
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Blondebear »

Not looking to sell (at the moment anyhow) , just wondering if it may be worth it it to get it graded.

Thanks everyone.

Blondebear
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Blondebear »

Daniel wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:53 pm Sorry but we don't grade using images, needs to be examined in person.
I see people on here, long time members giving their opinion about grades all the time.

Anyone have an opinion about what they grade may be?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#7 Unread post by DSCoins »

This board does not answer grading questions nor value questions. If you go to PCGS Photo Grade then when you think you have the grade of your coin, you can go PCSG Guide. If you feel it is worth the cost, remember you need to include cost of joining (NGC PCGS)no membership for ANACS + Shipping cost + cost off grading. If you are trying to get an error coin graded, then that is $65. Then you have the cost for return shipping. So that is the Cost for membership + shipping + Grading cost ($65 for error/variety) + return shipping + $10 handling fee = way too much for circulated coins (roll searching).

You can also search sold items on eBay and try match the condition of you coin

******Disclaimer:
Not responsible for anything that may come from using these sites to grade and value your coin. It is neither promoted nor condone this action
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

...just wondering if it may be worth it it to get it graded.
That is why I asked what I did. You word "worth" made it sound like you were wanting to sell it.

Despite mass mindset driven by the market, there really are only two main reasons to get a coin graded:
1. Someone just likes to collect slabbed coins.
2. A person finds a coin they believe will make them a profit by having it slabbed (since slabs can bring more profit).
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#9 Unread post by Paul »

I disagree

I believe that there are only 4 reasons to encapsulated a coin:
1. Authenticity
2. Preservation
3. Proof Designation
4. Variety Attribution
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#10 Unread post by DSCoins »

Paul wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:03 am I disagree

I believe that there are only 4 reasons to encapsulated a coin:
1. Authenticity
2. Preservation
3. Proof Designation
4. Variety Attribution
I am going to agree with Paul on at least number 1 and 4.
I am going to use a 2000 clashed die Nickel I found in 2008. Not sure the name of the board I was on at the time. When I found the nickel it drew a lot of heated debate on whether it was real or a vice job. Mick Diamond and B.J. Neff both said it was real. Mick Diamond stated that I should send it out to have it Authenticated as to the Error (I think that it also a Variety Attribution). After it came back a few people still said it was a vice job and PCGS could tell the difference between an error and a hole in their ***.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

Paul and DS - I agree with you adding the preservation and authenticity. I was short cited in not including those

Thanks.

I admit I do both activities myself anyway so just did not think of them.