OLD SCRIPT NOTES

Discuss or ask questions or posts paper currency topics. World currency is allowed as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

OLD SCRIPT NOTES

#1 Unread post by Paul »

I will be the first to admit I KNOW NOTHING about notes.
My elderly next door neighbor gave me some 'old notes' to look at.
I have no idea where to begin, or even look at/for.
Now, her father was a very prominant banker in the 50-60's, no baloney guy, straight shooter, & she got these in the 'will'. This alone leads me to think they are not fakes/knockoffs. I will have to get them out, & scope them. Where do I start?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: OLD SCRIPT NOTES

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I would just take images and not use a scope since they're not like coins, of course. I would just start with the earliest dates.

Paul

#3 Unread post by Paul »

5 pics
Attachments
DCP_0162.JPG
DCP_0163.JPG
DCP_0164.JPG
DCP_0165.JPG
DCP_0166.JPG
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

From what I am seeing here, these are facsimile reproductions or copies, the paper isn't correct in colors, and the ink hasn't turned brownish. The ink used during this time had iron in it and it would "rust> over time and turn partially or mostly brown. I bet these are a bit rigid in their feel where as a original script would be more supple.

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Thanks Daniel,
I did peek at them under the scope, of course,....I don't know PM, but I do know what a fountain pen looks like on parer/rag.
'Truckstop' Script.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by 2centsal »

I've seen those before. I think they were printed during the Revolutionary War, correct me if I wrong . I'll look at the picture up close again but like Daniel said they could be Repo's . I know their rare and only experts would truly be able to tell you what they are.
Paul, what does they paper feel like ? Does it feel like common paper like we have today or doe it have a Cotton feel ? I would bring them to a GOOD Coin Expert . Not just some " Joe Shmo " that owns a Coin store down the street . It help if he's got a lot of experience in Currency also. There's so many Counterfeiting of this kind of thing ,it's hard to say .What I don't understand is why their not in any kind of Protective Holders . Their falling apart which tells me they could be real. If they were fakes they wouldn't be so crude looking but I'm not sure about the Printing either.

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by 2centsal »

Daniel, you may very well be right about the ink thing. I would say differently if the were in holders and laminated but they don't look like they were taken care of at all . I did find a site that explains a little about the kind of Currency . Maybe the Editor of the article may be able to point you in the right direction. I also found a lot of Pic to look at to maybe ID them .
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art54033.asp

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... y+currency

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

I have enough experience with notes to determine if these are fakes not, if the ink wasn't so black, and the paper didn't look "modern" then he would need to consult an expert on their value and protect them. The notes are even turning color around the edges which means they have chemicals that wasn't used in the original script notes, since they don't turn brown around the edges and the print isn't that dark and bold on Colonial Currency either. I have just seen too many reproductions.

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by 2centsal »

So you think their just Novelty Notes or Repo's to fool someone ?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Actually they're novelty notes sold at gift shops or at a historical event, I have seen such items for sell at places like this. They do fool people and should have facsimile on them somewhere, but don't know if they were created to intentionally fool people.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by dipper13 »

Listen to Daniel. These notes look like the ones we got as souvenirs at historic sites. Here are a couple of genuine colonial notes that were certified. Dan
Attachments
DSCF0357.JPG
DSCF0356.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice notes!

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#13 Unread post by dipper13 »

Thanks, I have family from North Carolina. I used these to show the kids money from the colonies when I taught Rev. War . I liked them to see and touch to try to have them connect to the period. Dan