WHATS THIS WORTH

Discuss or ask questions or posts paper currency topics. World currency is allowed as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
hparker619
Coin Wizz

WHATS THIS WORTH

#1 Unread post by hparker619 »

1861 $20 CONFEDERATE COUNTERFEIT NOTE

After the Civil War broke out in 1861, the newly established Confederate government began to issue it's own money as legal tender to the citizens of the South. The gamble was that if the South won the war, the money would be redeemable. The 1st note from the Government of the Confederate States of America was issued in April of 1861. From then on, notes were issued on through 1864. Almost every Confederate note was painstakingly hand signed and numbered. It is not uncommon for these notes to have uneven, or rough borders since scissors or shears were used to hastily cut the sheets of notes apart
Attachments
$(KGrHqJHJC!E9r(d7UysBPfjS4dFlg~~60_58.jpg
$(KGrHqVHJFQE91-PEHRzBPfjSsDz1w~~60_58.jpg

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: WHATS THIS WORTH

#2 Unread post by Maineman750 »

I see them on eBay going for between $20 and $60...as with anything, condition is everything and I'm not a bill collector
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

One thing to look at is the signatures, the ink used had iron and some or all of the signatures turn brown from oxidization.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Confederate money also has a lot of counterfeits out there. I think that examples that are certified would go for more.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by dipper13 »

Besides condition,denomination,subject matter and pictured people make notes worth more. Any note depicting slaves is worth a premium,those with famous Confederates like Lee or John C. Calhoun are worth more and very high denominations ( over $100) are also. I have a bill ($100) with Calhoun and slaves hoeing cotton.
Most notes depict buildings,pastoral scenes,etc. When I was a kid, this stuff was actually put in cereal boxes, it was so common and worthless. As time has passed, it became more in demand and collectible. After all, these are Civil War era pieces. The printers of the bills were listed on the bills and many are high quality work.
Dan

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by dipper13 »

From the picture you show, I think the person pictured is Vp Alexander Stephens.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Dipper if I'm not mistaken the ones that showed up in cereal boxes back then were reprints and not the originals. Part of the reason why there are so many fakes. This stuff was reprinted several times. Most confederate stuff is worth well more than the union relics. But there are so many that are fakes or reprints that the value gets dragged down since collectors lose interest. They turn to collecting items that are less likely to be faked.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

:sos: Wow! I need help. I didn't even notice the counterfeit part of the first post. Here I was thinking something was wrong when it was already stated. Not much value, if any, on a counterfeit.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by dipper13 »

You have to get these notes from good sources. Many notes in cereal boxes were real, but were unsigned, not numbered and not used,just found in storage or privately owned.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by Nolifeking »

This site seems to know a lot about the confederate notes and states that copies were placed in cereal boxes in the 50 - 70's for special promotions. There are counterfeits that are worth money though but these were produced during the civil war era.

http://www.rebelstatescurrency.com/reproductions.html

There's a chance it's real from this site hparker. If you scroll down your note is there and seems to match. Also the serial number isn't found among the know counterfeit ones. Maybe be worth it to have it certified. Not sure the cost on certifying notes or how much this would be worth after certification. It can't hurt to take it to a local shop that might have some knowledge on them.

hparker619
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by hparker619 »

i pretty sure it's real , thank you for the link , i'm going to take it to the dalton ga. show the 27th to be a 100 percent along with the 3 cent piece .i put up a bigger picture of the note for you guys to look at widegrin

Nolifeking wrote:This site seems to know a lot about the confederate notes and states that copies were placed in cereal boxes in the 50 - 70's for special promotions. There are counterfeits that are worth money though but these were produced during the civil war era.

http://www.rebelstatescurrency.com/reproductions.html

There's a chance it's real from this site hparker. If you scroll down your note is there and seems to match. Also the serial number isn't found among the know counterfeit ones. Maybe be worth it to have it certified. Not sure the cost on certifying notes or how much this would be worth after certification. It can't hurt to take it to a local shop that might have some knowledge on them.
Attachments
$(KGrHqVHJFQE91-PEHRzBPfjSsDz1w~~60_58.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

You wrote counterfeit, so I went with it. Good idea to take to the show although the ink color can tell you a lot.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#13 Unread post by Nolifeking »

The only thing that looks odd on it o me is how dark the signatures are on it. Usually the ink would turn red or brown as the written serial number has done. If anything you'd think it'd be the same color since the serial number and signatures were added the same time.

hparker619
Coin Wizz

#14 Unread post by hparker619 »

If they did make a fake note out of this what would the paper look like ?
like note book paper or something close to it ?

because this note looks like a real bank note type paper

hparker619
Coin Wizz

#15 Unread post by hparker619 »

wouldn't the signature be a copy to make it a counterfit note and the serial number be added later ???

Nolifeking wrote:The only thing that looks odd on it o me is how dark the signatures are on it. Usually the ink would turn red or brown as the written serial number has done. If anything you'd think it'd be the same color since the serial number and signatures were added the same time.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#16 Unread post by Nolifeking »

I'm not really sure. It all depends in what the signatures look like in had. Look closely there may be brown specs of rust in the ink making it more likely that it is real. I've read that if the signatures appear the same color as the black in for the note itself that it could be a sign of a counterfeit bill. In the image it is too hard to tell.

hparker619
Coin Wizz

#17 Unread post by hparker619 »

i'm going to wait until the show the 27th and let this guy that deal's in these note's look at it

Nolifeking wrote:I'm not really sure. It all depends in what the signatures look like in had. Look closely there may be brown specs of rust in the ink making it more likely that it is real. I've read that if the signatures appear the same color as the black in for the note itself that it could be a sign of a counterfeit bill. In the image it is too hard to tell.

Nolifeking
Coin Expert

#18 Unread post by Nolifeking »

Sounds like your best bet.

hparker619
Coin Wizz

#19 Unread post by hparker619 »

It is 100 percent real the guy told me it's worth around $150-200 ..... if any one wants i'll take $125.00
i didnt try to sell it at the show my buddy was in a big hurry to get out of there , thats why i hate to ride with someone !

hparker619
Coin Wizz

#20 Unread post by hparker619 »

anyone wants this note make me an offer i need all the money i can get right now