Most Worthless Money

Discuss or ask questions or posts paper currency topics. World currency is allowed as well.

Moderator: Daniel

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Most Worthless Money

#1 Unread post by mhonzell » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:08 am

As some of you know, I've traveled quit extensively about the world. And, as I travel, I am always looking to pick up a sample of the local currency. Out of all that I've collected, two really stand out:

The first was my trip to Seoul, South Korea, where I was treated to a phenomenal lunch, but I had to pay for my drink. When I was brought my change, I noticed I was short a few Won. I tried to explain to the maitre 'd that I collect samples of currency and wanted to see this smaller unit that was missing. The interpreter had to step in to prevent insults over worthless money and being short-changed. In the end, I received one paper Won and a couple of pellets of aluminum. I've long since lost the aluminum pellets, and to this day do not know what they were worth, but here is the Won. (About the size of a book of stamps.) It was worth 1/500th of a dollar, or 0.2 cents, back then in 1980.
Korean Won.jpg
The other trip was to Antalya, Turkey, where I ate lunch with a friend, on an ancient castle's parapet, overlooking the harbor. Again, I had a maitre 'd, two waiters (one for the wine), and a fabulous meal. Then, I got the bill! 323,000 Turkish Lire. I pulled out my wallet and paid the bill, then threw in a 100,000 Turkish Lire tip. I think the waiter was going to invite me home to meet his daughter. At the time, the rate was 33,000 Turkish Lire to the dollar... yep, that meal cost me a whole $12, including the tip. And, they were astounded by our lavish tip of $3 in 1992. That made 1 Turkish Lire worth 0.003 cents.
Turkish Tip.jpg
Have you picked up any "worthless" money?

lee.harvey
Coining Around

Re: Most Worthless Money

#2 Unread post by lee.harvey » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:56 am

do u know how much 4 British 10 pound note in new condition in serial order wood be worth

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by mhonzell » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:47 am

Howdy! And, welcome.
It's best to start a new thread when you have a new question.

If it is modern, it is probably at face value, for now.
Without more information, that question can't really be answered.

For example,
How old are they?
What condition?
What's the lowest serial number?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:04 am

Interesting stories on your travels. We live it up compared to many countries.