Coin Books I Recommend

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Coin Books I Recommend

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

Here's a list of books that I own and highly recommend any coin collector to own. You can find much of this information online but it's a huge plus to be able to read and reread this information without lengthy only searches and scrolling through all the irrelevant content.

I provided an ebay link under their image so you can see how much they sell for or buy one.
minterrorguide.jpg
minterrorguide.jpg (9.64 KiB) Viewed 22267 times
The Official Price Guide to Mint Errors, 7th Edition by Herbert, Alan
pcgscounterfeit.jpg
pcgscounterfeit.jpg (9.61 KiB) Viewed 22267 times
The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection
redbook.jpg
redbook.jpg (13.31 KiB) Viewed 22267 times
The Official 2014 Red Book - Guide to U.S. Coin Values

Also of further value in knowledge are the various "Red Books" written by Q. David Bowers, the author is a world renowned and respected Numismatist. He has literally wrote volumes on every US coin type, tokens, medals, patterns and much more. If you collect it then he's wrote a book about it.
typecoins.jpg
typecoins.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 22267 times
You can find the Red Book for the coin type you collect here, too many choice to post each one Coin Type Red Books

I know that I left out a few great resources but it's confusing enough trying to decide on which to own, not mention how pricey. So if you have a recommendation then feel free to add them in a reply. If you have any questions then don't hesitate to ask.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Coin Books I Recommend

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:trophy: post.
you are only as good as your knowledge.
these books may seem 'pricey', but just 1 book, like the counterfeit detection issue, will pay for itself several times over when it saves you from buying a fake!
i picked up a 'pattern' book several months ago. every now & again, i search for 1 or 2.
luck? 100%. as i found a 1859 1/2 dime j-232 about a month ago for $48 'buy it now'.
how did i find it you ask? D-U-M-B LUCK. that's all. stumbled across it in one of those 'search days'. :ebay:
Attachments
DCP_0316.JPG
DCP_0314.JPG
DCP_0312.JPG
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by 2centsal »

I have the 6th edition of the Mint Errors book and I've learned so much from it. It's the 1st Error Book I read. I like how they explain the whole Minting Process from Start to Finish and the whole section about the History of Coin making. I think he did a good job breaking up the Errors into parts from the Planchet Errors to the Actual Striking process and all the Errors that are known to exist and how they are created. That's one thing that some books don't do, is actually explain in detail the type of Errors and how they happen. What I don't understand about Errors is that is seems if it's a Machine's fault or a device that's used in the Striking Process then it's an Error, but if it's a human mistake than it's not recognized as an Error like " Machine Doubling ". I feel if it's a machine's mess-up or a human's, then it should be an Error. I don't understand that whole thing and don't see what the difference is. The 1952 " Superbird" is recognized as an Error and that was supposedly done by an Employee. Are there any more Errors that were made by an Employee or is Machine Doubling the only one not recognized as an Error that increases the Value of the Coin ?
Hmmm.... That sounds like a good Contest question.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Let's keep it on track and about books. So let's start a new topic on the questions about mint errors and varieties.

I thought about getting the pattern book, good recommendation. I did a lot of research on US Patterns to put together my guides, but there's so many to remember.

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

daniel, i looked around for a 'good' pattern guide. i like this one, as it has full coin images...but no close-up's (if those books even exist?)
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Here's this one United States Pattern Coins by Judd / Bowers - 10th Edition

I just bought the same edition as you so I don't know if this is better. I always wanted a Pattern Book.

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by 2centsal »

:greatfind: Paul !!

Can I make a Couple recommendations ? Well it doesn't matter because I'm going to anyway. widegrin

I suggest subscribing to Coin World. There are some good articles in there. There's also a lot of seller ads and a Price Guide, but you get those with a lot of Magazines if you know what I mean . What ? I was talking about my Metal Detecting Magazine .
For those into Colonial Coins like me, there are some good books for those also that show all the Varieties for Coins like the CT. Coppers.
I also recommend becoming a member of CONECA. They have a great website and send a little booklet called Error Scope every month . There's even a Contest at the end of the booklet. I just won last months Contest.
I'll definitely have to get that Counterfeit Detection Book .
Thanks for the recommendations . :thumbsup:

alizah
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by alizah »

nice post, thanks for shairng
adina

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

2centsal wrote::greatfind: Paul !!

Can I make a Couple recommendations ? Well it doesn't matter because I'm going to anyway. widegrin

I suggest subscribing to Coin World. There are some good articles in there. There's also a lot of seller ads and a Price Guide, but you get those with a lot of Magazines if you know what I mean . What ? I was talking about my Metal Detecting Magazine .
For those into Colonial Coins like me, there are some good books for those also that show all the Varieties for Coins like the CT. Coppers.
I also recommend becoming a member of CONECA. They have a great website and send a little booklet called Error Scope every month . There's even a Contest at the end of the booklet. I just won last months Contest.
I'll definitely have to get that Counterfeit Detection Book .
Thanks for the recommendations . :thumbsup:
ty sal. i would like to just add one thing here. :eureka:
over the last 3-5 years, the 'coin buying/selling' population has boomed....most likely due to the 'profits' they see from others 'flipping' coins. the reluctance to purchase ANY 'books/guides', other than 'price guides', to me, is beyond my comprehension. the $20 - $30 you spend on a valuable resource for coinage, is the best money you will ever spend. JUST 1 COIN PURCHASE COVERS THE PRICE OF THE BOOK.....weather it prevented you from finding/buying a uncertified coin that is a fake, or to finding a very rare die variety. from what i have been seeing on the internet auction sites, & asking these sellers key specific questions, it's clear to me that only a VERY FEW sellers/buyers these days, have any idea of what they are actually doing.... :dunno
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

I second that Paul, most sellers with coins for sale don't know much if anything about coins. I see a few who just took them to a couple dealers and got a quote then listed the coins, or just looked at the listed coin auctions and priced their coins the same as the highest they were listed for, or just used an online calculator to figure a rough melt (but didn't consider the actual melt is not by face but by the weight of the coins due to wear).

I can sell any BU silver coin for 20 times face or more, but I see a lot of worn silver coin lots listed for the same melt, it just doesn't work that way.

I know the books I have purchased over the years have more than paid for themselves.

Some people have no business selling coins and are just looking for a fast buck anyway.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by mhonzell »

Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation. I picked up the first two books on the list above for a whopping $10 (total) from Amazon. Used, in great condition. Shipping cost more than the books.

Official Price Guide to Mint Errors is superior, by far, for providing details on every stage of the minting process and defining each type of variety that exists. This book also defines the variety classification systems and the abbreviations used. The prices indicated for errors is nice, but quickly becomes obsolete as collector's desire rises and falls for particular types. With this in mind, I got the Sixth Edition instead of the Seventh Edition and saved a few dollars. Overall, a tremendous aid to collecting and a valuable asset to my reference books.

I have not started on the second book, yet, but suspect it will be just as beneficial as I move back into collecting raw coins again. My IHC collection is almost complete... only four coins to go (all graded). And, I've already started branching out due to the huge support system and wealth of knowledge in this forum.

Thanks again!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

I am so glad to hear this! Glad you found help here. Only four coins and all graded!? I can't wait until you complete it. What dates do you need to fill it?

Paul

#13 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation. I picked up the first two books on the list above for a whopping $10 (total) from Amazon. Used, in great condition. Shipping cost more than the books.

Official Price Guide to Mint Errors is superior, by far, for providing details on every stage of the minting process and defining each type of variety that exists. This book also defines the variety classification systems and the abbreviations used. The prices indicated for errors is nice, but quickly becomes obsolete as collector's desire rises and falls for particular types. With this in mind, I got the Sixth Edition instead of the Seventh Edition and saved a few dollars. Overall, a tremendous aid to collecting and a valuable asset to my reference books.

I have not started on the second book, yet, but suspect it will be just as beneficial as I move back into collecting raw coins again. My IHC collection is almost complete... only four coins to go (all graded). And, I've already started branching out due to the huge support system and wealth of knowledge in this forum.

Thanks again!
mark,
do you like the 'mint error' book book you got?
does it have a-lotta pictures??
i need something new with good pic examples for teaching............
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by mhonzell »

Official Price Guide to Mint Errors book is designed to teach what all the different types of errors are by giving concise definitions and examples. It is not like CPG showing errors discovered within a year, or type. So, while it has pictures, it is usually an example of the type of error being discussed to distinguish the difference between an Offset Hub Doubling, Rotated Hub Doubling, and a Pivoted Hub Doubling. The "price guide" is extremely generic in that it assumes the coin is a MS-60 and dictates what kind of premium this type of error would add to the value of the coin. It is usually something simple, such as: $5 and up. (Way less that what eBay is usually trying to add on!)

The photos are black and white and because I got the paperback version, they are a bit grainy.

This is the novice book (my type at this point) that provides the full scope of terminology and a good understanding of the minting process. By describing the whole process, it defines why strike doubling adds no premium to coins since it occurs after the designed last strike of the coin. The book name is a bit misleading using "Price Guide" in the title.

Please don't take this write-up as a negative reflection on the book. The book serves a specific function and does it extremely well.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#15 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote:Official Price Guide to Mint Errors book is designed to teach what all the different types of errors are by giving concise definitions and examples. It is not like CPG showing errors discovered within a year, or type. So, while it has pictures, it is usually an example of the type of error being discussed to distinguish the difference between an Offset Hub Doubling, Rotated Hub Doubling, and a Pivoted Hub Doubling. The "price guide" is extremely generic in that it assumes the coin is a MS-60 and dictates what kind of premium this type of error would add to the value of the coin. It is usually something simple, such as: $5 and up. (Way less that what eBay is usually trying to add on!)

The photos are black and white and because I got the paperback version, they are a bit grainy.

This is the novice book (my type at this point) that provides the full scope of terminology and a good understanding of the minting process. By describing the whole process, it defines why strike doubling adds no premium to coins since it occurs after the designed last strike of the coin. The book name is a bit misleading using "Price Guide" in the title.

Please don't take this write-up as a negative reflection on the book. The book serves a specific function and does it extremely well.
TY
all of this soaking in, studying, LOOKING AT UNDER A SCOPE hugeeyes , is what separates the pro from the rest. black & white here. with practice, you will be owning some of the choicest pieces known. top pop's. i have quite a few myself (23 cat'd vars). but remember, it takes 'looking' at a MOUNTAIN of coins on a continuous basis as they become available. the more you have 'snap' memorized at a glance, the quicker you can go.....
i do recommend you pick 1 single denomination for a 'primary'. i do flying eagle cents. a second, & third when times are slow.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by mhonzell »

Daniel wrote:Only four coins and all graded!? I can't wait until you complete it. What dates do you need to fill it?
This thread is on recommended books, so I'll keep it brief: widegrin

1869, 1871, 1878 and 1888

I have the complete set, but these last four are not graded. I have a goal of all coins in the set are a minimum of XF45. (Current average is AU53.) Many of my dug coins did not meet the goal. I will have to upgrade two additional coins: 1877 and 1909S to meet the grade goal. These were also the first two I had graded, before I knew anything about grading, or I even had a goal. (I was wrong... it was only two coins. Memory is failing. Good to keep records.)

I found the 1877 in a dig and it graded as F15 Details. So, technically, it is not quite there either.

Surprisingly, the 1888 is difficult to find in that AU-MS62 grade. I cannot use mine because it was obviously cleaned at one time in the recent past.

When very young, I found a few Indians in the Lincoln Wheat rolls I actually got from banks. Later, I dug them out of the ground. I put these in a Dansk collection book using fillers for the missing coins, which I bought from a local dealer. Then, I found the 1877. That started the grading movement.

With the use of this forum, I started discovering that the TPGs were not identifying now encased varieties. That led to both better observation tools and a need for much better references. The first book I bought allowed me to identify three varieties in my collection raising it's value by over $1000. I think the book paid for itself (even though I'll likely not sell any of the coins.)

I'll finish my goal before I branch out too far. It's tempting, but I'm too close to let it slip now. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as I can through these books and questions to the group. While the coins are still moving slowly my way, the knowledge side is moving faster than I can keep up.
Last edited by mhonzell on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#17 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

:winnah: Mark, Nice find on that 1877 (Around a house or field?) and congrats on the almost complete goal. I never knew about wheat rolls when starting (about '67). Just whatever turned up in change. Was able to complete the Jefferson series this way tho (exclud. 1950d).
Also, when you said "the TPGs were not identifying now encased varieties", does this mean they would not "reslab" a coin already labeled as a variety or they would not include the variety in the label description on IH submissions? I haven't had the joy of dealing with them yet and just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can about the process.
Really like your posts because you have a way of articulating questions and thoughts I have also. This site provides a lot of positive guidance and information from all the members, from the newest to most experienced. Thank you to all!!!

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by mhonzell »

Found around an old fallen barn. (See my avatar.)

I didn't know anything about varieties and as a result, I never asked for variety attribution when I submitted my coins. Keep in mind, I didn't submit very many since they were simply coming back as Genuine, Details or body bag because they were dug up. But, nothing I submitted was a variety, so that was good. Three of the coins I bought slabbed were later identified as being varieties, by me. I was okay with buying these less than pristine looking coins because they were so much better than what I had and still met my goals. Turns out those ugly markings were unique die markers. Treasures in plain view usually at a significant discount since no one else was buying them. So, those who submitted those coins didn't know either. The TPGs... well, unless you pay them, they do not label the coins as varieties. Based on a lot of posts on several forums, not sure how well that process works even when varieties are pointed out. But, that's another thread, please.

The point was it took these books to identify them and now I'm learning to shop with confidence.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by mhonzell »

PS. My book recommendation is kind of specialized due to my collection preference. It can be purchased for a particular coin or groups of years (4 volumes: the book below is just the first volume.) And, the author is fairly well known and respected. (Of course, he sells hard-bound versions for just about any other coin type.)

The Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Attribution Guide
Attachments
Recommendation.JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by Daniel »

Good book recommendation, Snow is a well known name in Flying Eagle-Indian Cent varieties, you can buy all volumes of this book in one but not sure how available that copy is.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Unread post by Daniel »

Bump since this topic needs revisited, very good books to buy and read.