The Davenport World coin books and Krause Catalog

Recommended Numismatic books, or publications to our members.

Moderator: Daniel

regandon
Coin Expert

The Davenport World coin books and Krause Catalog

#1 Unread post by regandon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:28 pm

The best books on World coins are the hard cover books by John S. Davenport. The books are not cheap, but are a must have for collectors of world coins. The books cover the years from 1484 to 1968. The books only cover European Crowns and Talers, no minor coinage is included. There are many pictures and history of each country. The best part is that the books give a full understanding of what is on the coin. These books also help you to understand the many varieties of designs within a series.
Another great help is the Krause Catalog of World coins. I only use the catalog as it does list the mint masters and engravers by year and series of coins the minted or engraved.
My go to books for reference and research are the Davenport series, and I use the Krause Catalog to research the mint masters and engravers. Krause also has a Catalog that covers 500 years of German coinage. This is a must have for German coin collectors.

ANA member# R-3128774
WINS member# 774

Templar Knights Motto
NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED TUD
NOMINI GLORIAM

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Davenport World coin books and Krause Catalog

#2 Unread post by Daniel » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:26 pm

Here's the coins links to buy them off ebay. You can often get a good deal on a used edition.

EUROPEAN CROWNS 1484-1600 by JOHN S. DAVENPORT

Krause Catalog of World coins
Attachments
Krause.jpg
Krause.jpg (13.04 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
Thalers.jpg
Thalers.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 2959 times