Largest Fish Ever Caught In North America?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Largest Fish Ever Caught In North America

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

I caught a 55 pound carp on 12lb test and that took a few minutes. I don't know if I could bring in a 12+ footer by myself.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#12 Unread post by pahwa »

What helped was the ability to keep the boat right on top of the fish, it ran downstream we powered up and followed it, upstream the same thing. It helps not having to fight the river current while fighting a strong fish. Oh after releasing the fish I was beat, but I did get a little break between fish until we moved to the eddy across the river. Then the only break was when Steve was fighting a fish. lol

Man those are some nice fish you guys caught. A 55lb carp, holy smokes man that is a nice carp! We don't have Stripers around here but any 48" fish is amazing. I have caught Salmon up to 40 pounds from shore in the river, fighting the fish and current does beat one up for sure! But when one is young and foolish they do some dumb things, like fishing until they drop then getting up early the next day to do it again. Now days I would have to recover for a week before heading back out. lol Fighting a 12' fish, I would probably be in the ER with a morphine pump - for a week. hugeeyes
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#13 Unread post by Maineman750 »

I fish for stripers in the Kennebec River,Bath,Me. We do fish out of a boat as well...and yes you have to follow them when they're big. We do see lots of sturgeon jumping but nothing as big as yours...maybe 5 or 6 feet long. Never even thought of trying to catch them and nobody up there ever mentioned trying either...maybe against the law up there ?
Roger

pahwa
Coin Expert

Re: Largest Fish Ever Caught In North America?

#14 Unread post by pahwa »

Sort of makes one wonder about the laws for Sturg fishing. Though one would think if there are that many that incidental catches may occur once in a while. Catch and release only I would guess. Those stripers eat pretty well don't they? A chunk of fresh fish sitting on the bottom would probably catch a sturg.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

It was funny after I caught the carp and dad netted it for a picture. I took a couple pictures as it was "balled" up in the net and then it suddenly broke my brand new net! It almost didn't fit anyway, but to break a fresh nylon dip net had never happened before to me or dad. You should have seen dad's face. lol

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Daniel »

Now those are some holders I haven't seen before. I wonder if the NNCS is an earlier holder of the one I already have listed?

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#17 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Daniel...what are you doing talking about coins ???? :l
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

OOOPPPPS! I posted in the wrong forum. I am a hijacker hugeeyes

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#19 Unread post by Maineman750 »

We take our fish forum seriously around here lol: :h
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by Daniel »

I see that now widegrin

pahwa
Coin Expert

#21 Unread post by pahwa »

Daniel wrote:OOOPPPPS! I posted in the wrong forum. I am a hijacker hugeeyes
Yeah mannn, I don't know how I missed all this but what gall do you have thinking this is coin forum. Geeeez, man. Bummer about the net. My son broke a brand new salmon net netting a large salmon a few years back. Good thing he knows how to swim! Reminds me when my wife and I were steelheading many years back and she kept hitting my fish with the net and knocking them off... Geee she outfshed me too... I wonder why.... But the is another story for a different day. A coin forum.... HA! widegrin
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!