This question applies to all coins, not just a nickel

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
BillyBob
Coin Collector

This question applies to all coins, not just a nickel

#1 Unread post by BillyBob »

I noticed that Jefferson 5FS and Roosevelt FT values weren't listed in the guide I was using until MS65 give or take. Is that because a lesser grade 5FS or FT was only worth the value of the coins without these features or some other reason? I personally am happy to own either. I never had one back in the 70's. I thought they were fantasies...not really but I would have been happy to have had examples of either in any grade.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: This question applies to all coins, not just a nickel

#2 Unread post by Paul »

For old-timers like me, these designations were meant to
indicate "EDS" (Early Die State)
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree with Paul.

2nd Law of Thermodynamics - all things move toward disorder and decay

Since all die details, including the steps, wear down as the die is used, It would seem there would have to be a grade at which you cannot find FS.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

BillyBob
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by BillyBob »

Paul wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:01 am For old-timers like me, these designations were meant to
indicate "EDS" (Early Die State)
Interesting designation. I have never heard of it before but I completely understand early die state coins would have 6 steps at first, then 5 steps, and so on. The "so on" coins are the ones that I have. No, I do have a couple in mint sets that are 5 step and of course the newer coins. I suppose the mint did something different to protect the steps a little more. Is that a fair assumption?

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#5 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Yes , this time with armed guards .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

I suppose the mint did something different to protect the steps a little more. Is that a fair assumption?
Well...not really.
Newer coins have full steps due to tech improvements in making coins over the years. So modern mint sets likely will have full steps.

Also, mint sets are not made with special coins. The mint sets coins are just scooped up out of the bins of coins made for circulation.
LOL!
...and barbed wire if its an usurped (by current residents) capital building.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

BillyBob
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by BillyBob »

Your answers were similar but one concerned circulation wear to the coin and the other to die wear. My question was really aimed at mint state coins. The 'EDS' coins that have full steps could be any grade from MS60 to MS70 as I understand it and possibly a few of the higher grade circulated coins. Why would a price guide, I'm looking at the NGC guide at dimes at the moment, not list a price for FT dimes until MS65? The price on one particular dime is $20 at MS65FT, nothing from MS60-MS64. It would seem an MS64FT would be worth $10 or so. Why would it skip pricing the lower mint state grades? If the answer is collector geared, I don't know if I'd buy it. If could not afford a collection of MS65FT, I'd settle for a collection of MS60-64FT, whatever would be in my budget. If the answer is that NGC thought this coin designation irrelevent in grades less than MS65FT, I would accept that. I would only like to narrow it down a little, if that is possible. If not, then I'll move on.
Last edited by BillyBob on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyBob
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by BillyBob »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:41 am Yes , this time with armed guards .
hahaha

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

I would recommend reading up on this issue, as it can be confusing to the newer and immediate collector.

Most of these "Extension Acronyms" are reserved only for the high MS values. A good example here is "Gem".
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

BillyBob
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by BillyBob »

Earle42 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:26 pm
I suppose the mint did something different to protect the steps a little more. Is that a fair assumption?
Well...not really.
Newer coins have full steps due to tech improvements in making coins over the years. So modern mint sets likely will have full steps.

Also, mint sets are not made with special coins. The mint sets coins are just scooped up out of the bins of coins made for circulation.
LOL!
...and barbed wire if its an usurped (by current residents) capital building.
Yes, I was looking for tech improvements as an answer. The second half of your reply answers another question and I'm grateful. So, theorectically, if I had access to 1000 mint sets of a given year and mintmark, say the 1971D, I would have just as good a chance to find an error as I would going through 1000 circulation released Kennedy halves. The chance in 1000 coins might be 0.01%, but it is better than nil.

BillyBob
Coin Collector

#11 Unread post by BillyBob »

Paul wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:51 pm I would recommend reading up on this issue, as it can be confusing to the newer and immediate collector.

Most of these "Extension Acronyms" are reserved only for the high MS values. A good example here is "Gem".
This is what I needed to see. I do remember a time when grades were Unc, BU, and Gem BU. Now, there are 19 or 20 mint state grades. If one counted the circulated grades, which I think have MS numbers, then there are probably 30 something.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

Yes, I was looking for tech improvements as an answer. The second half of your reply answers another question and I'm grateful. So, theorectically, if I had access to 1000 mint sets of a given year and mintmark, say the 1971D, I would have just as good a chance to find an error as I would going through 1000 circulation released Kennedy halves. The chance in 1000 coins might be 0.01%, but it is better than nil.
Yes. Your 1 thousand mint sets would just be regular coins made for circulation that the mint randomly put into plastic to sell for a profit. There is no special selection process to pick which coins go to the banks and which go into mint sets.